Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Scanning photos to cad

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 03:10 AM
PITTSFLYER-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scanning photos to cad

Hello, I just wanted to let you know about a program that I have been using to scan any photo and put it in my cad program. the best one I use now is from photomodeler, it takes a photo and converts it to a cad usable format for working with. You can take a photo from lets say a mag. ad and get a 3d image in solid or wireform to work with. The other is scan2cad, this one works well also but I like the photomodeler better.
The best part is they are both freewere from thier sites
WWW.Photomodeler.com and www.Rastertovector.com
If you are new to cad and plane design this will get you off to a fast start
Old 03-28-2002, 12:50 PM
AV8TOR
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks Pitts I will have to check this out. I have never seen on work that good in the past. I have been using rhino3D, which will let you bring in a image file which you can draw over. This would save some steps in the process.
Old 03-29-2002, 03:00 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hummm....

These each are rather pricey items. I know of a few Raster-to-Vector software programs out there at about 1/2 the cost which work OK for copying linework from a plan.

After reading through it all, am still confused about the set-up proceedure on the 3D modeling aide. Calibration etc. makes it seem that we cannot use several old B&W photos to develop a CAD model. I can think that shaddows, lack of a top view, and other situations enter into the accuracy of the end result. How do you get a top or bottom view of an A/C without it flying? Looks to work best with wholey new images. Would like to know more of your experiences with the photo program.

Wm.
Old 03-29-2002, 03:21 PM
PITTSFLYER-RCU

If you are talking about the scan2cad ,this one work good for hand draw sketches then converted to make templates and such.But the photomodler program I used when I could not find a reasonable priced Cosmic-Wind in large scale so I took photos of my 1/4 scale plane from 6 angles marked the points and converted it it worked great I made the molds from that
Old 03-30-2002, 01:34 AM
CoosBayLumber

Default Oh,

From what you mention, it sounds convienient. I always think in the real to model size frame whenever "model" is mentioned. I just can't image trying to get some software to pick up the lines of a bent wing Corsair through a bunch of shaddows. What you did was made a model of a model.

Can you explain the process of the phots, and then how much initial manipulation is done in the computer, and how long it takes to develop and maybe edit a 3D model?

Wm.
Old 03-30-2002, 02:07 AM
PITTSFLYER-RCU

You are right it is harded when working with a real craft. I took shots of my full scale Pitts S1-S and went as far as making some templates for the mold plug but put the project on hold due to back surgery this year. For that I took shots of plane from both sides front and back and at rt-side rear angle it took several shots till I made a square around plane to keep all shots at same distance so references would be from same point. but after contacting the tech at thier site I learned it was not needed you must make a point in all photos at the same location in the diffrent photos for software to make adjustment for the different views if you get shadows or unwanted lines just remove them after it processes it the processing can take forever if your system is slow or you have a complicated project cost I use the freeware version at home our shop uses the pro version and for my needs at home its not needed
Old 03-30-2002, 02:10 AM
PITTSFLYER-RCU

Wm send me your e-mail address and I can give more details
Old 03-30-2002, 05:03 AM
CoosBayLumber

I do an awful lot of this type of drawing, thus the interest.

I am at:

http://members.buttes.net/coosbay/laser/laser.html

Wm.
Old 03-31-2002, 03:36 AM
jbfoster
My Feedback: (16)

What about scanning a plan out of a magazine ? Will this program work ?

Thanks
Jim
Old 03-31-2002, 05:46 AM
PITTSFLYER-RCU

Jim, the scan2cad program works best for that because it will convert the plan from photo state to cad usable drawing format that you can edit and make changes as needed.