Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Newbie questions for building from scratch from Experts

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Newbie questions for building from scratch from Experts

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 03:29 AM
jdub12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie questions for building from scratch from Experts

Not that im planning on building a project from scratch anytime soon but I have some questions for you guys that have on how you get started. I think it might also give me more of an insight with kits that have the plans worked out but the parts are manually crafted.

most of the Jets i see on here in the fabrication stage look like a lot of work. Do most of the kits come with cut pieces for the fuselage? What i mean is like the f14 kit that was posted all over here...was that a kit that was put together or just like from scratch created parts?

how do you guys get the fuselage so round and tapered so well? What i mean is like you have the frame of it, then you all put on some sort of wood covering, but how do you mold it so well to take shape?

Basically, what preparations do you guys go thru after your plans are created? Cutting foam, getting the balsa to take shape.

For example how does one get from this:

to this all covered up:
Old 06-26-2003, 04:13 PM
captjack
Banned
My Feedback: (3)

called planking and elbow grease with a sanding block mixed with alot of patience.
Old 06-26-2003, 04:24 PM
jdub12

so basically you just put the planks on, then tack them somehow and sand till the grains line up and fill the gaps with filler i suppose?
Old 06-26-2003, 09:59 PM
captjack
Banned
My Feedback: (3)

if you cut and fit the strips or sheets carefully there will be a minimum of filler needed.after sanding most are fiberglassed for strength and to seal the wood and as a base for the finish.