Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

FOAM CUTTER POWER SUPPLY???

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:04 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FOAM CUTTER POWER SUPPLY???

Hi guys.
I just bought a router speed controller from harbor frieght ($19.00) for a foam cutter. I have two 12v transformers, one has 3.5 amps the other 2.5.

CAN I USE BOTH IN A SERIES for longer bows?

One of my bows is 50" long. I read 24v is better for longer wires. I will pick up a 50v 4 amp bridge and a pair of 35v 4700u capacitors from Radio shack to convert to DC.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:02 PM
kenlowe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: FOAM CUTTER POWER SUPPLY???

OzMo,

Provided the secondary windings are isolated from the primaries (almost certainly the case), it should work just fine. Connect the two transformer primary windings in parallel and the secondaries in series. Lite them up and measure the combined secondary voltage. If it's around 24V, you're good to go. If near zero, swap the secondary leads of one transformer the voltages will "add" in one orientation and "subtract" in the other. Your current is of course limited to the rating of the lower of the two transformers 2.5A.

Some of the cheap "light dimmer" speed controllers have problems with inductive loads like transformers. Since yours was apparently designed for motors, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

Ken
Old 12-17-2009, 12:29 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FOAM CUTTER POWER SUPPLY???

Thanks kenlowe,
The router speed control has been used for this in a couple of post and reportedly works quite well. I will be lending this unit to a group of high school kids participating in a high milage car contest. They are going to do a foam shell for the body with light glass over that. I am being rather careful in its set up. Everything will be in a project box with a fuse and good safe wiring. Should be that way anyhow.
I am going to cut cores for a Supra build this winter.