Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Fiber glassing question.

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Fiber glassing question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 03:50 PM
Falcon6667

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fiber glassing question.

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

t is it normal for it to not fill all the way on the first (actually seconc ) coat? or is it the norm to have to add another coat to fill the weave?
After sanding the 2nd time an your not happy, wash it really good then mix up another batch of epoxy an add "micro balloons"
then wet sand with 400, you don't want to breath the dust...then prime an paint..I wet sand alot as soon as the wood is sealed.
Falcon
Old 03-23-2013, 05:24 PM
stevegauth30

Thanks a lot falcon. You've been a big help. I'm assuming not to mix it too thick? How about where the float bottom meets the sides and it changes to 1/2 oz cloth? Do I over lap or just try to make a nice sharp edge?
Old 03-24-2013, 03:44 AM
Falcon6667

Thanks a lot falcon. You've been a big help. I'm assuming not to mix it too thick? How about where the float bottom meets the sides and it changes to 1/2 oz cloth? Do I over lap or just try to make a nice sharp edge?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SHARP!!!!!
Old 03-24-2013, 06:40 AM
stevegauth30

That's another thing that I've never done, silk span and dope. I started in the hobby too late for that. Until now it's just been all plastic film crap that I hate. Does the silk span finish as hard and smooth as glass?thanks, Steve.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:50 AM
Falcon6667

That's another thing that I've never done, silk span and dope. I started in the hobby too late for that. Until now it's just been all plastic film crap that I hate. Does the silk span finish as hard and smooth as glass?thanks, Steve.

As smooth as yes,,,hard no,,I enjoy it because the dope is easy clean up an sands easy...you ann talkum poder to it as a filler neat old system, but its all we had as kids back in the late 50s .
My frist kit was a profile , powered with a fox 35($6.95?, or 5.95?)I still have,glue was ambroide! no zap, no epoxe.wings were covered with silk span,(I couldnt afford silk it would have another $1.00)
Old 03-24-2013, 07:01 AM
stevegauth30

Maybe I'll give it a try. I've been wanting to anyway. Thanks for all your help. Steve.