Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

gee bee floats

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

gee bee floats

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 01:17 PM
ggale
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gee bee floats

I have been given new in box gee bee mark IV 33 inch floats. Before I got these, was planning on making a goldberg eagle 2 into a float plane. Would these be the correct size? Anybody familiar with them as I get the idea that they are from back a ways. But as stated, these are new and never have been used. Hardware is there also. Any help, very appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2013, 01:27 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Sure, they will work, just try to make the rigging as stiff as possible, they have a tendency to be wobbly,,

good luck
Old 08-13-2013, 02:38 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
Sure, they will work, just try to make the rigging as stiff as possible, they have a tendency to be wobbly,,

good luck
GB floats are favorites to pick on. They are hollow and the mounting flange flexes. They can leak. That said, they are probably about the right size for an iggle.
See fhe FAQ section of my website for tips about how to rig them. www.smilesandwags.com/floats.html.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:32 PM
Oregon Craig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen guys have issues with them when trying to get them to break free of the water. They can get stuck. A couple I've seen overcome this issue with pure lift / horsepower.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:03 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3 or 4 summers back I was testing a seaplane for a guy and, as I recall, it had plastic Gee Bee floats. I have flown several different types of floats of all kinds, foam, fiberglass, plastic, wood, and I noticed these had the worst water handling of any of them. His plane was a .46 powered trainer and it still had trouble getting off the lake. On about the 3rd weekend, one of them leaked and that side of the plane went down. In my opinion, do not count on them.