Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

V-design on float

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

V-design on float

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 02:55 PM
flipstart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V-design on float

When I designed the floats for my Goldberg Falcon, the bow section (front to step) is V-shaped 15 degrees each side, but I did not V the bottom of section from the step to back.

Just wondered what effect this section being V-shaped VS flat has on take off and landing. Have seen floats shown both ways-but noticed the floats on posted picture in Rigging a Water Rudder and they have a severe V-shape on back section. Do I need to make a change to V.

- Flipstart -
Old 09-24-2003, 03:07 PM
cf-drg
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: V-design on float

Sig 48" floats are built the same as yours... V shape for the front and flat bottom from the step back....Your design is fine, I always recommend a V in the float bottom to aid smoother landings... With a full flat bottom, you are more likely to bounce (or porpoise) on your landings... A V is a bit more forgiving.. But flats require less power to take off...As to your floats you kinda have a little bit of both worlds, and they will work just fine...Mount them and try em....
Old 09-24-2003, 06:17 PM
flipstart

Default RE: V-design on float

10-4 CF-just wanted to make sure before I put on the final touches-thanks for the info. Flip