Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

PBY Power choice

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

PBY Power choice

Old 03-17-2014, 08:31 AM
mikehannah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PBY Power choice

Hi
I am mulling over the Vintage RC 108" PBY plans. This is my first true Seaplane after flying North Stars. The question of how to power it is where my thought train has stalled.
I could power it with a couple of IC engines and Weston in the UK make suitable motors in Normal and reverse direction which would eliminate any torque problems. However I am also looking at it and thinking of going electric, it would make handling the plane a lot easier and maybe safer . I am aware that other people have used electric power with a lot of success with Seaplanes but my question is.

1) Has anyone ever done it with the vintage RC PBY.
2) where did you locate the batteries
3) Anything I need to look out for on the use of electrics in Sea planes other than only fly in fresh water.

Lastly any advice from the wiser heads than mine on this issue.

Mike
Old 03-20-2014, 08:07 PM
splinterz25

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikehannah
Hi
I am mulling over the Vintage RC 108" PBY plans. This is my first true Seaplane after flying North Stars. The question of how to power it is where my thought train has stalled.
I could power it with a couple of IC engines and Weston in the UK make suitable motors in Normal and reverse direction which would eliminate any torque problems. However I am also looking at it and thinking of going electric, it would make handling the plane a lot easier and maybe safer . I am aware that other people have used electric power with a lot of success with Seaplanes but my question is.

1) Has anyone ever done it with the vintage RC PBY.
2) where did you locate the batteries
3) Anything I need to look out for on the use of electrics in Sea planes other than only fly in fresh water.

Lastly any advice from the wiser heads than mine on this issue.

Mike
I can't help you w/ the electric motors issue but I'm building one right now it's about 75% finished you can see it here the best w/ more captions; it's also here on RCU but there's not as much info.
look here.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1845035

Good luck how ever you go... I VOTE FUEL ENGINES.

Bruce