Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

seaplane

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

seaplane

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 01:35 PM
keithcitra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seaplane

i have a mid star 40 and am converting it to seaplane it is 6 lbs what size electric motor will i need
Old 04-27-2017, 03:37 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is that the all up weight? Does it currently have an engine on it? Seems a bit heavy as Sig suggests 5# for AUW. However at 6# you're going to need 100W/Lb. at least if not a tad more for floats, floats create more drag than wheels. If it were my plane I would consider at least 700-800 W in and considering the efficiency of the motor just how much actual power you will have to produce thrust. You can always reduce the throttle to a comfortable cruise speed.
You may want to check out Inno8tive Products Innov8tive Designs/Scorpion products
They provide battery/ prop charts for their motors which will give you an idea of how much power and thrust each motor produces. These are not estimated but actual tests.
I would consider a 4S pack as well. Consider how much prop clearance you will have with the floats.
Hope someone who has actually flown a Mid Star on floats will chime in.
Out of curiosity, what floats are you using?
Old 04-27-2017, 04:33 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was built that heavy plus the weight of the floats plus flying off of water, I would install a Power 46 , a 60amp ESC and run it on a 5 cell 3800mah pack.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:59 AM
keithcitra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have built the floats with plane and floats it is 6lbs no motor or esc i was flying it with thunder tiger 42 with wheels