Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Floats on Ultra Sport 60

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Floats on Ultra Sport 60

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 06:34 PM
bonmot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Floats on Ultra Sport 60

I am a just into RC plane for about 2 months. A true beginner. I can only fly sky surfer, which doesn't need a run way to take off and land.
Bought an antique never flown scratch built Ultra Sport 60.
Engine is K&B 61, 2 stroke. Still need to break in.

I have a water front cottage, a perfect open area to fly seaplanes.
I am thinking about putting floats on it.

I also have a new E-flite Apprentice S 15E with float. My plan to to learn how to fly the Apprentice first.
But I would like to see if anyone has put floats on an Ultra Sport 60.
I have done some research online, I couldn't find any examples.

Thanks
Paul

Old 04-20-2021, 10:35 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Part of the reason is low wing aircraft do not make great float planes. It is possible to do of course but a less than perfect landing or take off could cost you the air frame. Another thing I would say about the Ultra Sport, The stall speed is a little high for a float plane. The Ultra Sport is a fantastic airplane IMHO but it's suited well for floats.

David
Old 04-20-2021, 11:33 AM
bonmot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see. It makes sense. Float mounting would be troublesome too. It almost has to be mounted with the wing as the wheels do.
Ok, it left me with easier options: put in the electronics and find an air field to fly. :-)
Old 04-20-2021, 12:28 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by daveopam
Part of the reason is low wing aircraft do not make great float planes. It is possible to do of course but a less than perfect landing or take off could cost you the air frame. Another thing I would say about the Ultra Sport, The stall speed is a little high for a float plane. The Ultra Sport is a fantastic airplane IMHO but it's suited well for floats.

David
I agree on the high stall speed comment,, the wingloading adding floats would defiantly will make it a challenge to fly,,

But the low wing comment I disagree, set up right a low wing aircraft handle the water great