Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

best way to finish built up floats??

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

best way to finish built up floats??

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 03:40 AM
kenandjudy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best way to finish built up floats??

I just bought a set of unfinished built up balsa floats. I've never had a float plane before, so am looking for recommended way to finish the floats. I'm guessing the best way might be light fiberglass cloth with cold cure epoxy, 'tho I'm wondering if there's a way that would be equally as strong/leakproof, but lighter. Also, if I'm going to paint over the glass covering, any recommendations for a good type of paint. I have a compressor and gun. Thanks ... Ken
Old 09-30-2003, 04:15 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: best way to finish built up floats??

I recomend epoxy resin and glass cloth, two layers over all and a third in the bottom.
While your at it you can glass-in aluminum brackets for your mounting points if mounts are not already in place.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:30 AM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

While all that glassing will give you a really nice (and heavy) finished product, I have to say that all that work is really not necessary.

I have the set of Goldberg superfloats and the only glass on them is the 1/2 inch wide strip that goes right on the center seam of the bottom. The rest of the floats I just covered with silver Ultracote. Light and easy. It has lasted for many seasons with only an occasional scratch to patch up. I've never had any leaks. Also I covered my Sea Cruiser II flying boat with only Ultracote and have never had any leaks there either.

Jeff
Old 09-30-2003, 04:28 PM
cf-drg
My Feedback: (1)

When covering floats with Mono-cote I guess you have to sheet them with balsa, so the heat doesn't affect the foam??? I was going to use the lite white foam for a set i'm going to make... The blue and the pink foam are a bit heaverthan the white?
Old 10-01-2003, 06:14 AM
seaplane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cf-drg,
The white foam is lighter, but also less rigid. If you use the white, you'll have to "beef" them up. Sheeting with balsa adds a lot of strength, or you can use epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth. I make and sell sheeted foam core floats and I use the pink or blue.....Seaplane