Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

It won't take off, whats wrong?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

It won't take off, whats wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 01:42 PM
crashed2
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It won't take off, whats wrong?

I scratch built some floats for my GWS E-Starter, I used this link for the dimensions.

http://www.flyinglindy.homestead.com/skisandfloats.html

They are 75% of the fuse length, 2" wide, and the step is just behind the CG by about 1/2". the first time I put it on water, I just wanted to see if it would float. It did, and I also got it airborn twice. I didn't have much control on the water as I didn't put a water rudder on it to save weight. To gain control on the water, I made a water rudder out of a plastic CD cover and a small pinned hinge. I used a Sullivan gold-n-cable for the control rod from the Planes rudder to the water rudder. I now have good control on the water, but I can't get enough speed to get airborn. It seems that the water is holding it back from gaining speed. I wouldn't think that just adding the water rudder would add that much weight, would it? What if I moved the floats forward to put the step closer to the CG point, would that help, or do I need more POWER?

I do have to admit, I fly at about 7000 feet above sea level.

Any ideas would help a bunch![&o]
Old 10-08-2003, 06:55 PM
seaplane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: It won't take off, whats wrong?

Is your water rudder dragging in the water when you are up on step? It should be out of the water. The rudder only has to be about 1/2" below the bottom of the float to be effective, any more and it just creates drag.........Seaplane
Old 10-08-2003, 07:29 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Per an older forum, it mentioned to move the step either on line with the C.G. or within 1/2" of the C.G. You may be close, but need to be closer yet.

Wm.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:22 PM
JimCasey

I think Seaplane got it.

Flying at high altitude is not as MUCH of a handicap for electrics. You make just as much power since electrics don't require air as part of their power production, but you might need to swing a little bigger prop. Prop for the optimal amp draw.

Still, if it flew without the water rudder, and it won't fly WITH the water rudder, that points at the water rudder as a cause.

The water rudder should only be wet when taxiing. If it's dragging in the water any other time, it's DRAGGING in the water. You don't have any excess power to spare. Even when you rotate for takeoff, the water rudder should not touch the water.

Old 10-08-2003, 08:31 PM
dirt dummy

Check the angle of your wing when its sitting on the water. If the front of the wing is lower than the back it won't ever take off!! Went to a float flie this summer and seen to guys with the wing to float angle off. They raced around the pond great. Told them to adjust their gear and up the went.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:06 AM
crashed2

Thanks for the ideas.

I will give these things a try. As for the angle of the wing when in the water, the plane sits back on the back of the floats when sitting still and the plane has a nose up attitude.

I will try these ideas, and let you know how it works.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:50 AM
All Thumbs

I think Dirt Dummy is talking about the angle of the wing compared to the flat top of the floats. It's when you're up on the step that you want to have a positive angle of attack.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:14 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto, make sure that with the top of the floats level, your wing is sitting with a few degrees of positive incidence.