Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Thunder Tiger 40 on floats

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Thunder Tiger 40 on floats

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 09:30 AM
dwheeler42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder Tiger 40 on floats

I am a 1st timer on float planes. I am converting the trainer that I started with several years ago. It is a Thunder Tiger 40 and I am placing a set of 33!QUOT! Gee Bee floats on it. The wing span is 61!QUOT! and weight is approx 5 1/2 - 6 lbs with the floats on and fueled up. What I need to know is which engine should I use. The plane came with a TT GP 42. On land this engine flew well and I had pretty good performance. I also have a TT Pro 46 that I can put on it. Several more experience flyer's (but not float flyer's) suggest I go to a larger engine.

Also, what is the best way to seal my battery and receiver from any water that might get inside. 1 idea that I thought of was to seal it in a zip-lock bag and use silicone where the leads come out. - Any suggestions.
Old 10-11-2003, 12:06 PM
Oregon Craig

Default RE: Thunder Tiger 40 on floats

If you have the option of putting that pro .46 on, then you probably should. You have added the weight of the floats, as well as the mounting hardware. I have heard that those GeeBee floats have a way of being harder to lift from the water, as well. Extra power would certainly help, no doubt.

Good Luck, Craig - N7OR
Old 10-12-2003, 10:29 AM
dwheeler42

Thanks Craig N70R. I have also been thinking on getting a 60 or 75 size 2s for the plane. I am going to try and fly it in a float fly in 3 weeks. If I'm going to be doing loops and rolls it might be better to have the extra power. A buddy of mine has a SeaMaster that he had a TT Pro 46 on and it flew OK but during the 4th flight he was doing some loops and came out of a dive without slowing down the engine and overpowered the control surfaces and pancaked into the lake. Not a whole lot of damage but took a while to retrieve the plane.
Old 10-12-2003, 05:12 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

dwheeler42,

I'm flying a Really oil soaked and heavily repaired Solo Sport with an OS 40 LA (not on floats) which weighs almost 7 LBS for our clubs instruction plane. I mention that to say that your 42 will fly the plane on floats if everything is set up right (and you use 15% or more). But, I think you will have a lot more fun with the TT.46. I highly doubt you will need anything larger than the TT46. If you want to do aerobatics as you said, then definitely put the .46 in the plane. I have a friend with a very seasoned Aerostar on floats and he always used a .40 FP (similar to the .42). It worked pretty good, but he always was leaning the mixture to the limit and the eng. would get hot, sometimes overheating. This summer he put a TT46 on it and he had a blast. Nice combo.

Jeff

Edit reason: Flying Solo Sport on .40 LA not .46 LA as earlier noted.
Old 10-12-2003, 05:17 PM
dwheeler42

Thanks Jeff
Been really looking at my options to buying an engine but I think I might just try the TT 46 on it next weekend (if I get it finished) and see how it performs.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:05 PM
Olderndirt

DWheeler.........

As far as waterproofing the rx, try inflating a latex glove and, while holding the wrist hole shut, push the receiver into the inflated glove. When it's all the way in, release the air so the glove tightens around the rx. You can help seal around the wires with a rubber band.

Olderndirt