Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Kadet LT-40 and dihedral

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Kadet LT-40 and dihedral

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 11:37 AM
onthefly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kadet LT-40 and dihedral

I appreciate the help you all have given me so far. I haven't yet got floats on my kadet but in my reading I've found that dihedral on seaplanes is ill-advised. Has anyone out there taken the dihedral out of the LT-40 wings or made new ones for it?
Or should I worry about wind getting under the wing while on the water?
JS
Old 11-01-2003, 02:06 PM
tks1
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Kadet LT-40 and dihedral

Most wings have some sort of dihedral built into them. Generally speaking the less the dihedral the better the plane will fly (I should say cleaner not necessarily better) BUT it wont have the self correcting characteristics that dihedral provides. I normally dont put as much dihedral in a wing that is called for - but I wouldnt try to remove it from a wing or build a new wing because of it either. I just finished an 8ft Beaver that I will put floats on next summer. The kit calls for alot of dihedral and most Beavers get put on floats at some time or another. I only put about 1/2 the dihedral that they called for but they wouldnt tell you to put that much if it had an adverse effect on float flying. Also, any plane will flip if there is enough wind - you will just have to pay more attention when windy.

Hope this helps you - where did you read that it is bad for floats? I am interested in reading why.

tks1
Old 11-01-2003, 04:19 PM
Ed_Moorman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can't fly very well, you might want some self-righting. 99% of all fliers like the plane to go where they point it. A high wing location is equivalent to 3-5 degrees of dihedral, so taking it all out still gives you some dihedral effect. Haven't you noticed the Ultra Sticks with flat wings. High wing planes don't need any unless, as I said, you don't fly very well and need help keeping the plane upright.

A buddy has a Sig LT trainer with flat wings. It flies better, but not as good as a low wing plane. It may be an LT-25 with a TT .42 in it, I'm not sure, but it flies like a Stick instead of like a trainer.

I happen to like high wing plane for the convenience-you don't need a cradle to put them together. But, to make them fly correctly for aerobatics, you need anhedral, the same amount as you need dihedral for a low wing plane. You do need dihedral, or sweep back, on a low wing plane or it will roll opposite to the rudder in knife edge and point rolls.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10824.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	71635  
Old 11-05-2003, 10:26 AM
Blackhawk RCU
My Feedback: (5)

I have been flying a LT40 right out of the box no modifications for over 4 years. It is a great float plane just as it is. Using a Saito 56 for power.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:20 AM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

I don't think in this case that the dihedral will be a problem. Mostly you are worried about the wind tipping your plane over and if the floats are set up correctly, then I think you will be fine. I've seen 100's of high wing planes on floats and IMHO turning in strong wind on wheels is more of a problem. The wide stance and weight of the floats makes everything more stable.

Cool plane ED. I like your column in RCR. I don't deny that the flight performance of your plane is great - it does look like you made a REALLY hard landing though....
Old 11-07-2003, 12:19 PM
bigjohnsonrc

I made two modifications to the wing on my LT40 Float Plane. I took most of the dihedral out so that with one side of the wing flat on the bench the other is one half inch above. Barely noticeable. The other thing I did was to make the wing semi-symetrical by adding appropriately sized pieces of balsa on the bottom of each rib. I have a Tower .61 two stroke and it flies great.

Cap'n Bob
Old 11-19-2003, 11:20 AM
vantown

[8D]Here's a picture of my LT 40 on floats. Stock wing. Flies like a dream with a OS 70 FS. Not very aerobatic. Slow rolls & loops are about it. Leave the dihedral alone.

Name:	Bz78866.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	75853  
Old 03-17-2004, 04:37 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Vantown,
What size floats are you using on that LT-40? I bought a set of 34" floats at the WRAM show. I have a LT-40 with a TT Pro 46 in it.

Do you think that combination would work? I have absolutely no experience with setting up or flying on floats...

Thanks for the advice.

Bob
Old 03-17-2004, 05:28 PM
seaplane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 34" floats will work just fine. Here's a pic of my wife's LT-40 on my 34" floats. It's a stock LT-40 with stock dihedral. Have fun...Seaplane

Name:	Wu60220.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	112514  
Old 03-18-2004, 08:24 AM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Bob,

Here's some float info: