Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Turbo Prop Beaver

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Turbo Prop Beaver

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 08:45 AM
AmphibXP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Prop Beaver

Being a newbie to this site but a pilot of the real thing, has anyone ever thought about adapting a turbo prop to the Beaver model airplane? WHat is the probability of this being done?

Is there a decent ARF kit of the turbo beaver? What is the most popular turbo beaver kit?

Thanks for the help,

Chris
Old 12-04-2003, 03:29 PM
Closterman

Default RE: Turbo Prop Beaver

Hello AmphibXP, did you fly a real Turbo Beaver? If yes, take a look to my website ( www.mraerodesign.com ) and send me an e-mail please. The Turbo Beaver are my next project and I need some little info !!
Thanks
Old 12-04-2003, 04:54 PM
AmphibXP

Yes I have flown the various versions of the Beavers. The original turbo, the Viking turbo, and the Wipline turbo. The wipline is by far the best and would be the one to do a model of.

Just let me know what you have for questions and I will do my best to answer them.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:39 AM
Smoky

H'mm Chris, what do you mean by a "turbo Prop"? Do you mean the three bladed props that the turbo had verses the 2 Bladed props on the Radial Beaver?

The gallery is working again and I have some Photo's of my Unionville Turbo Beaver there.
it is an 8 foot wingspan with a Saito .91 4 stroke Golden Knight engine. More than enough power with the 14 x 7, 3 Blade MAS Prop. It flies with either wheels or floats attached.
Smoky.
Old 12-05-2003, 02:03 PM
AmphibXP

Turbo prop, as in turbine. I would like to find a nice kit and use a Wren Turboprop engine to power it. As far as the radial beaver, I have seen them with 2, 3, and 4 bladed props. Typically the turbine powered beavers use a full feathering 3-bladed prop with beta.

My goal is to build a scale Wipline Turbine Beaver, using a turbine engine, with amphibious floats.
Old 12-05-2003, 02:28 PM
BillHarris

My goal is to build a scale Wipline Turbine Beaver, using a turbine engine, with amphibious floats.
Quite an ambition!

I don't know how large the Wren turbo is, but if it would work with an 18% (1:5.5 scale) model, I'd see what Martin Rousseau ("closterman", above) comes up with. His radial Beaver is an very scale and well-designed model.

If you need a larger scale, I recall that there is a 1:4 scale radial Beaver with a 'glas fuse that could be bashed to a Turbo Beaver.

--Bill
Old 01-24-2015, 03:30 PM
bigguyplanes
My Feedback: (1)

Default rc turboprop beaver on floats

I refitted my 1/4.5th scale DHC-2 (129in) Beaver with a Wren 44Gold Turboprop in 2013 Weighs 42 lbs wet and flys great.
2 videos on Youtube " rc turboprop beaver on floats " and " rc turboprop beaver "

Last edited by bigguyplanes; 02-03-2015 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:18 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Veeeeery nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwF3mAS2NFo

Last edited by bogbeagle; 01-25-2015 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:09 PM
bigguyplanes

Thx
The other video is "rc turboprop beaver" 7 mins.

Last edited by bigguyplanes; 02-03-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:58 PM
Square Nozzle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AmphibXP, After seeing "bigguyplanes" video I have the same urge to build a Turbo Beaver. I have the Wren in a PC21 but to swap it out into a Beaver would be very easy. I found a 22% round engine Beaver in Wendell Hostetler plans and Precision Cut Kits will cut a kit for the plane. Wing span will be 10 1/2 feet and weigh about 35 pounds ready to fly. Creating the cowl to fit the Wren will be the only issue. Wendell also has float plans. Clostermans Beaver also looks like a good candidate.

Last edited by Square Nozzle; 01-27-2015 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:40 PM
Square Nozzle

I just ordered the Turbo Beaver kit from Martin Rousseau. It looks like he did the Wipline version. Called Ron Ballard at Wren USA and he confirmed that the Wren 44 turboprop is well suited for the Beaver. I can confirm that the Wren engine pulls like a mule. My PC21 has a 20" X 10" four blade on it and it has unlimited vertical climb capability. It won't do that in the Beaver because of the weight differential but there should be plenty of power to make it fly very well.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:15 PM
bigguyplanes

Square Nozzle,
Ron sold me the Wren 44 Gold and has seen the pictures of the install.Martin's Beaver will be a rocket as it may be 20 lbs lighter.Are you going to fly it off water? I haven't found another one yet that has.You will love it as there is no vibration. Good luck with your project.
Allen
Old 02-03-2015, 07:26 PM
Square Nozzle

Allen, Yes the Beaver will be fitted with floats. When I ordered the kit I also ordered the float kit. I am also considering putting retracts on the floats. Probable Century Jets retracts. They built custom scale electric retracts for my PC21 and they are very nice. The retracts for the Beaver will have to be air operated since I've heard that electricity and water don't mix. I'm finishing a 1/4 scale Balsa USA Cub and modified the Balsa USA floats to put retracts in them. Basically I really enjoy float flying and enjoy building float planes that are scale. I'm looking forward to pushing the Beaver out onto the water, starting the engine and taxiing out for takeoff.

An after thought - The retracts will add weight to the plane so the Wren Turbo Prop will have more plane to power.

Last edited by Square Nozzle; 02-04-2015 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:28 AM
bigguyplanes

Hi John,
Martin did the DHC2-T Beaver. The" Wipaire Boss Beaver" uses the original DHC-2 rounded vertical fin and doesn't have the extra small cockpit windows.If you send me your email address I could give you a couple of pix on the cowl construction.
Al
Old 03-14-2015, 08:38 PM
samo

Al,
Your Wren 44 powered turbo Beaver is the coolest thing I've ever seen. Did you scratch build your 129" Beaver? Have y'all heard anything positive about the turbo Beaver designed by Eric Rantet and distributed by Aviation Design? I've got the itch to fly a Wren 44 turbo prop Beaver off water too!

Drew
Old 03-15-2015, 12:20 PM
bigguyplanes

Hi Drew,
My DHC-2 was custom built by a friend in BC 8 yrs ago and i did the refit in 2013.I have been in touch with Eric and at that time he had not or heard of one of his flying off water yet.A friend has built one of Eric's on wheels but not flown it as well.
Mine far exceeded my expectations ! I still need a better throttle curve,for now I just use 100% + Expo (Futaba Tx) on the throttle. Pix are available if you want.
Cheers
Al

Last edited by bigguyplanes; 03-15-2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:55 PM
samo

Al,
That is so cool! Well your Beaver is one gorgeous bird! I'm super jealous and nice job on the refit for your Wren 44. Would you ever be interested in selling it haha? Yeah, that's so weird. I've seen some really cool pictures of Eric's Beaver with floats but haven't heard anything regarding feedback on how they fly. Have you seen or heard of this company? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egi60tGMqkg

I'll bet it did! Your Beaver flies SO nice! Great job on the sticks. Would you mind sending me more pictures of your Beaver? I would love that. I can give you my email address if that would make it easier. Thanks for the information!

Drew

Last edited by samo; 03-15-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:05 PM
samo

That Paritech just looks so much like Eric's Beaver but I do think they are different models.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:56 PM
samo

Al,

What 2 blade Mejlik prop were you using if you don't mind me asking? I noticed you also had a 3 blade 20 X 10 Biela on there as well at one point? Did you ever use a 3 blade on water? Yeah, turbines can be tricky with the throttle curves!
Old 07-21-2015, 06:19 PM
samo

Hey Al, how's it going? Would you be interested in selling your turboprop Beaver at this time? Thanks!

Drew