Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Alternating landing lights question

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Alternating landing lights question

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 02:17 PM
Smoky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternating landing lights question

I am putting landing lights on my Unionville T Beaver, as I am installing the winglets anyway.

I have seen these ,turn on, with the either the gear or the flaps. I intend to use the gear channel.
However In the day time when the big planes are landing these lights flash, Alternating
between the port and starboard sides.
Anyone know how to make the lights on the model flash like that? It makes the plane more visible in the day time. and I don't intend to fly at night anyway. LOL

I tried a search but, came up empty. found some lights but came up empty on the flashing part.
thanks.
Smoky.
Old 12-27-2003, 02:47 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Alternating landing lights question

The full scale equipment you're asking about is called "PULSELIGHT". They pulse because the human eye is more prone to see a blinking light over a steady light. makes it much easier to see oncoming traffic
HTH
Tom
Old 12-27-2003, 09:03 PM
cf-drg
My Feedback: (1)

Smoky I put lights on my T-Beaver.. I used High intensity white LED's for the landing lights and red and green for the wing tips.... Put a high intese flashing red one for the beacon on top of the fuse, but I forgot the one in the tail...oops...
As far as a mak ing the alternating flashing landing lights you could try an electronics store (place that sells IC's, printed circuit boards, LEDs. ect).. My dad (the old guy)was an electronic geek[sm=wink.gif] and he made an alternating flashing light for my train set when I was a weee lad...The guys at the store might be able to help you, I remember the flashing unit my dad made was about 1"X1" and had about 5 parts to it ( an IC,resistors,capacitor ) and ran on 6V....Parts would cost (I guessing) around $10...

If you can't make one let me know, and I will talk to the old guy... I'll see if he'll bring his soldering iron out of retirement....
Old 12-28-2003, 04:06 PM
Smoky

Thanks guys. I'll see what I can find for a Pulselight generator. I like the IDea of using the LED's. If nothing else? then I could use a diagram from you CF_drg so I can biuld my own, since I am pretty handy with a soldering iron. I'll let you all know How I make out.
Smoky.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:09 PM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try these guys. They make several alternating LED systems, or look under "Railroad" stuff for what they call ditch lights.

http://www.ramrcandramtrack.com/
Old 12-30-2003, 08:07 PM
Smoky

Thanks pettit That is exactly what I was looking for.
You da man!

Smoky.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:12 AM
DavidMC
My Feedback: (6)

I actually just ordered my lighting system. Its the Curtek Lighting system from www.zebrahobby.ca (quick service!). This system has 3 flashing navigation, 2 landing lights, and 4 extra connections for any other lights. The landing lights are controlled by the reciever too. Seems like a good system..might make a good starting point for you.

I am interesting in what you end up using for you alternating lights. Please let us all know how it works out.

cf-drg, what system did you use? Are there navigation lights in the tail - I was unaware there were (I can't see it on pictures). Please let me know! Thanks!

Dave
Old 01-11-2004, 07:23 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

use a 555 timer chip

easy to do and will drive either high intensity LEDs or even some globes if you run the o/p via tranny for increased current flow

do a search on 555 applications or go to radio shack as they will have little p[ocket books on the subject.

cheers
Peter
Old 01-13-2004, 04:14 PM
DustOffUH1
My Feedback: (2)

Yes, Curtek Lighting system's ROCK! Plus great service and fast delivery. I set them up on my Bell 222 to turn on with the throttle.
Joe
Old 01-31-2004, 09:22 AM
Smoky

ORIGINAL: pettit

Try these guys. They make several alternating LED systems, or look under "Railroad" stuff for what they call ditch lights.

http://www.ramrcandramtrack.com/
Well I ordered from these guys. the flashing Navigation lights, the regular landing lights and the Ditch lights. I Intend to set up the Landing/Ditch lights side by side. so I can use either or both at the same time. I'll set up one set to come on with the flaps. and the other to light with a spare channel. This should look awesome on a slow approach, thanks guys. I'll post photo's once I'm done.

Rick.