Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

glassing Goldberg Cub floats

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

glassing Goldberg Cub floats

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 07:09 PM
kenandjudy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glassing Goldberg Cub floats

I'm just beginning to seal and strengthen my built up Goldberg floats with fiberglass cloth and ColdCure epoxy. I'm using 3/4 oz. cloth on the bottoms and 1/2 oz. cloth on the remainder. These floats were built from a kit by a builder from whom I purchased an almost complete project. While building the kit, he installed blind nuts on the inside of the floats on the top deck to receive hardware for mounting struts. There are also holes drilled on the transom (aft) of the floats to accommodate mounting hardware for the rudder mounts. My question is how to apply the glass/epoxy without plugging these holes, but still have continuity in the fiberglass cloth. Any suggestions/methods would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance.
.. Ken
Old 01-05-2004, 08:20 PM
canadagoose
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: glassing Goldberg Cub floats

What about using some sort of silicon sealer to plug the holes then lay the cloth right over them then when the epoxy has cured use a drill bit to cut new holes through the cloth to open them up again. Silicon shouldn't be too hard to remove by pushing it through to the inside.I've never tried this before, just thinking.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:18 AM
seaplane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: glassing Goldberg Cub floats

Ken, I make foam core floats and use the blind nuts also. I've glassed a half dozen of them with no problem. Just lay your cloth over the top surface, apply your resin and when all done open the blind nut holes. I have a 4-40 tap that I clean the holes out with if the screws won't go in.......Seaplane