Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Installing waterproff servo on the float

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Installing waterproff servo on the float

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 09:43 AM
Isaac F

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing waterproff servo on the float

Hello Guys. Is there is a way to install a waterproff servo on one of the float.

I want to do this because if not every time I have to remove the floats in order to fly it on land I have to cut and uninstall the steel wires that goes to the steering on one of the floats.

What I want to do is install the servo in the float and use a servo extension routed to the inside of the airplane. So when I take out the floats i just unplug the servo.

What you think about this idea.[:-]

Do anybody have pictures or a web were I can take some ideas and tips?

THX,

Isaac
Old 01-15-2004, 07:25 PM
polstery

Default RE: Installing waterproff servo on the float

You don't need a waterproof servo, just a standard servo with aeroplate by aerotrend and the servo will work underwater. I use it on all my boat servos.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:38 PM
Isaac F

ORIGINAL: polstery
You don't need a waterproof servo, just a standard servo with aeroplate by aerotrend and the servo will work underwater. I use it on all my boat servos.
Is there is a web that have some tips on how to install the servo on the float, so no water get inside the float. I will use ARF plastic floats from Modelfly/Falcon Trading Co. Is the Cessna 177 Cardinal ARF (the ones that is all plastic)

Isaac
Old 01-15-2004, 07:54 PM
Isaac F

This is my idea. I can make a rectagular hole on the float for put a mini servo, fill the inside Plastic Float with liquid foam. The one that is liquid but it dry fast and create a brown foam used for packing.

This way there is no way water can get inside the float. What youi thinK?

Do you thing that float will be heavier for the foam???

Isaac
Old 01-15-2004, 10:15 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just use fishing swivel-snaps on my water-rudder linkage. It's not necessary to cut the wires, just unhook them. I don't even use wires, just fishing line(Spiderwire), and 2-56 eyebolts for guides. Use 2-56 eyebolts and clevises at the ends to provide a nice loop for tying the fishing line.

If you mount the servo in a snug-fitting waterproof box or cavity in a foam plug, it will only take about 2 drops to fill the box all the way to the waterline. If the servo can leak, it will. I had my receiver in a snug cavity in an all-foam seaplane once. It took about a teaspoon of water in the fuselage to drown the receiver.

If you want to put the servo outside (ecch) why not just servo-tape it to the top of the float?
Old 01-16-2004, 03:20 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with Jim. I use swivel fishing snap hooks. They're tiny and but strong and will take abuse. They unsnap and the rudder hookup is off in seconds.