Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Tips for Floatplanes

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Tips for Floatplanes

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 02:03 AM
KingSalomon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for Floatplanes

Hey, I just ordered a piper J-3 cub and float kit. I am new to water flying, and i was wondering if there are any must-know tips, or just general advice and things that are different for flight off of water. For example i think i read somewhere that ou need to waterproof your reciever for a floatplane. Is this true? Thanks all.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:49 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Tips for Floatplanes

Hello fellow Minnesotan! Welcome to RCU!

Sticking your Rx inside a baggie is not a bad idea. Despite our best intentions, sometimes our planes don't stay right-side-up while float flying. Sometimes even takeoff and landing runs can splash water inside the radio compartment. So yes, waterproofing is a good idea. (Not a MUST mind you, but a good idea none the less)
Old 01-19-2004, 09:33 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you know how to fly off land, you can go out and fly off water and have fun the first day. This is especially true if your floats are selected properly for the plane and rigged right.

Techniques are not much different, and the plane does not fly much differently with floats. The transmitter sticks all work in the same direction. The big difference is that the plane does not sit still on the water, and any wind will blow it around. Forget crosswind takeoffs and landings...lakes are usually wide enough so you don't need to do that and a crosswind landing is ASKING to trip on a float, catch a wingtip, and make a big splash. Crosswind taxiing is a challenge, too. Hold the upwind wing down with aileron. Until you get comfortable with taxiing on the water, it's probably best to taxi as little as possible. Put it in the water, aim into the wind, goose it and take off. If you can plan your landings so the plane ends up directly upwind of your position, it will drift back to you if the engine quits.

Make sure there is a boat available to you.....You just can't walk out and pick up your plane if it goes down in an unplanned location.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:21 AM
MinnFlyer

Good point Jim...

A Boat is a MUST!!! (unless you're a good swimmer)
Old 01-19-2004, 03:41 PM
KingSalomon

alright, thanks... Thats what i needed...
Old 01-26-2004, 02:33 PM
Steve108
My Feedback: (36)

I have a question / answer. I've seen some things for RC cars saying to put the reciever in a balloon and seal it with grease and zipties. Would this be bad for a plane? If it would work I think it might be easier to seal than a bag.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:43 PM
MinnFlyer

I don't see why it wouldn't
Old 01-26-2004, 08:51 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, grease will destroy a latex baloon.

Everything is a two-edged sword. Anything you do to keep water OUT of a floatplane also keeps water IN, once it gets there.