Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Floats for a trainer

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Floats for a trainer

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 09:10 PM
Bad Tooth
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Floats for a trainer

Hey guys, I have a hobbico superstar sitting in my basement and I have been thinking about putting floats on it. I have never done this before so I have a couple of questions. Is this plane a good choice for floats? And if it is, which set of floats do you recommend? (GP, etc.?)
It still has "the dog" (O.S. .40 LA) mounted on the front, but I have a .50 SX that I can use also. Will I need the xtra power?
Thanks
Old 02-09-2004, 02:39 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Floats for a trainer

Yes, you WILL need the extra power. Aside from weight, floats add a LOT of drag. As for what type, I can't really say except to find a set that is aproximately 70% of the Fuse length.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:34 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With all due respect to our esteemed moderator, I have never felt or experienced that floats really added much drag. My telemaster certainly seems no faster with wheels instead of floats, and the climb performance or takeoff distance is really not significantly changed, either. The biggest thing I notice is that it has better inverted performance with the floats.....I think they contribute to the lift when they are inverted..

That being said, If you are comfortable flying your trainer, you will probably enjoy the extra power.

I strongly urge you to either buy or make styrofoam floats for your plane. MinnFlyer was spot-on telling you to get floats that are 70% of the length of your fuselage. Measure from the prop to the rudder hinge line. Don't go smaller. A little longer (up to 80%) won't hurt.

foam floats are available commercially from (among others) PlaneFunFloats.com, foamFloats.com. and RnZ models.

A trainer is excellent for float-flying. A high-wing plane does a good job of keeping the radio dry. Even if it's flipped over, it floats on the wing.

I have posted links many times to articles about how to make and mount floats. If you need the info, let me know.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:53 AM
Bad Tooth

thanks guys. I was really looking for something easy, and cheap. I initially wanted to get some GP fiberglass floats but they are WAY too expensive!! do you have any suggestions for some nice, economical floats that are ARF or something like that? Jim, I would be interested in your information also. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:58 AM
Bad Tooth

http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Detail.asp?ID=200303832

What do you think of these?
Old 02-10-2004, 01:14 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Those will work.

Jim, the only plane that I fly regularly with and without floats is a Goldberg Cub, and believe me, there's a BIG difference in performance.