Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Need advice on covering plastic aircore floats

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Need advice on covering plastic aircore floats

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 07:57 PM
Barnz316
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on covering plastic aircore floats

Hello all

Ive recently mounted a set of USAircore floats to my trainer and realized that the gray color of the floats is an eye sore. It doesnt do anything for its looks. Im wanted to cover them and thought that "iron on" wouldnt be best for plastic floats so I ordered some self adhering monocote. And now im having some issues with it sticking to the floats, especially on the edges. Is there anything I can spray on them to help the monocote stick better or would it be best just to paint them? If paint is the best option, what is the best paint to use? Thank you for your time....
Old 02-27-2004, 09:17 PM
taylorcraft1947

Default RE: Need advice on covering plastic aircore floats

CENTRAL IL FLYER,

I believe it would be easiest to simply paint them. Just be sure to lightly roughen the surface of the plastic with fine (250-600) sandpaper before spraying. If you would rather cover your floats, the same treatment would probably get the job done.

taylorcraft1947
Old 02-28-2004, 02:18 AM
Barnz316
My Feedback: (26)

Thanks for your reply. I done alittle experimenting and found that spraying some waterproof contact adhesive on the floats before applying the covering works really well. I messed up in a spot and thought I was going to rip the float apart trying to get the covering back off. And the adhesive looks like it could help in waterproofing the floats too. Don't know if its right or wrong yet but it seems to work good.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:29 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If those floats are made out of coroplast, vinyl sign materail will work the best. Paint will chip.