Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Seaplane Antennae Routing

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Seaplane Antennae Routing

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 12:44 PM
rc_for_me
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seaplane Antennae Routing

Greetings all,

I'm building my second seaplane which is the Aero-Phibian from Hobby People. If you are not familiar with the aircraft, it is a sleek looking, high wing, 4-channel with a combo float/landing gear setup.

On all of my aircraft, I route the antennae thru the fuselage via an Ernst Antenna Guide and exit it out the bottom near the tail feathers. I did the same on the Aero-Phibian as I am setting it up initially for land use.

I did a test mount of the included floats and realized that about 3" of my antennae will be dangling in the water. I double checked the setup of my Lanier Mariner and found the antennae routed out the top of the fuse and stretched out to the top of the tail fin.

Do you think that this small bit of antennae coming in contact with the water will present a problem?

Thanks to all in advance for your time and effort...
Old 02-24-2004, 01:28 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Seaplane Antennae Routing

No, it won't. However, I would fill the end of the antenna tube with Vaseline to keep water from seeping up into it.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:54 PM
rc_for_me
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mike,

Good tip for everybody. It's amazing how water will find a way to creep into everything on a float plane. On my Lanier Mariner, all gaps, screw heads, hatches, wing saddle, everything is sealed with silicon rubber. All pushrods are filled with vaseline.

Found a great way to seal hatches and wing saddles that you probably already know. Apply a bead of silicon rubber along the wing saddle or hatch opening. Lay a piece of saran wrap over it. Fasten down the wing or hatch. Let the silicon rubber cure, remove the wing or hatch and the saran wrap. Trim the excess silicon rubber off and you will be left with a nice tight seal that will keep out a majority of the water.

Thanks again,
Old 03-07-2004, 12:21 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Seamaster ARF has a built-in antenna tube in the hull, fully inclosed.
When the airplane permits, I always run the antenna inside the fuse, never had a problem.