Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Grumman Duck

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Grumman Duck

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 05:13 PM
abdr-crewchief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grumman Duck

Gentlemen,
Is there anyone out there that has built a Grumman Duck?
I've been searching the interent for plans and/or kits. The only location I have found is Precision Cuts (kit maker).
Are there any other locations I could go to.
Thanks for any and all help.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:33 PM
Oosiksmith
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Grumman Duck

Royal used to make a nice one....builders kit though. Maratuka took over the line. Try an internet check for Maratuka and you should find one.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:25 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

I have plans for a .60 size Grumman Duck, complete with working retracts and all. I found them here on RCU some time ago, because I thought I would build one. I doubt I will ever get around to build one, always other more pressing projects on the table, but that would be my plane of choice for a seaplane. If you are interested in the plans, 2 or 3 sheets, let me know, and I will get you more info on them. I would want $50.00 for the plans shipped.
DKjens
Old 03-04-2004, 03:05 AM
OWIERK

Cleveland models has plans for the Grumman Duck

http://www.clevelandairline.com/ASP/PRODUCT.asp
[link=http://www.clevelandairline.com/ASP/PRODUCT.asp]Cleveland Models[/link]
Grumman J2F-1/-6, "Duck"
Leroy Grumman designed the J2F based on 1933's JF-1 observation/utility amphibian. Grumman and Columbia manufactured 567 J2Fs after the aircraft's 25 June 1935 first flight.

CODE SCALE QUALITY

1/32 SPAN PRICE
14.5 $14.00

1/24 SPAN PRICE
19.3 $18.00

1/16 SPAN PRICE
29.0 $26.00

1/12 SPAN PRICE
38.7 $34.00

1/8 SPAN PRICE
58.0 $51.00

1/6 SPAN PRICE
77.3 $67.00

1/4 SPAN PRICE
116.0 $100.00

GOLD

Keith
Old 03-04-2004, 08:51 PM
abdr-crewchief

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
I haven't aquired the experience to scratch build yet, and I wouldn't do the aircraft justice for my first scratch built.
I appreciate the offer all the same.
There was a guy in March 04 issue of Model Airplane who had built a 10' version from 3D's in a previous issue. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find that issue. Once again, scratch built.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:53 PM
abdr-crewchief

Thanks, I have been to their web site.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:55 PM
abdr-crewchief

Unforunately I haven't been able to find them.
I knoe Precision Cuts has a kit, but I would have to buy the plans seperatly from Louis Pancoast. I haven't been able, thus far, to find him.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:58 PM
pilotwon

I am building a Duck and bought the plans from Louis Pancoast. Larry Katana at Precision Cut Kits cut the parts and did a beautiful job. Pancoast is in Courdalaine (sp?) Idaho and is in the HIgh Flight. I'm not a home now or could give you the phone number. Contact me if you like - [email protected]. I am getting Robart to make the retractable gear. I'm using a ZDZ80 twin in mine. I'm just starting and it has been quite a process to get everything together. Pancoast's plans are not the best by a long shot. You'll have to do a lot of your own "filling in of the blanks."
Old 03-06-2004, 08:17 AM
abdr-crewchief

How is the plane covered? Are you using fiberglass or are you going to sheet it with balsa?
I'm sure it is HUGE. AND a huge project.
It is definitely a seaplane I want to build. I am fortunate to live on the lake (Power company built) here in central Georgia. Just moved here a few months ago and my first thoughts were "What a great place to launch Amphib aircraft." But I'm sure the bass fishermen will appreciate a 10 foot wingspan "Duck" launching out.
If you can and get a chance to, I would appreciate you sending any pictures you mught have taken. I am curious about the construction. My email address is [email protected], thanks.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:43 PM
4Stroker
My Feedback: (33)

Plans for a 60" span Duck are (or at least were) available from Bill Northrup's Plans Service (702) 896-2162, 10-4 M-F. These are the the old "Model Builder" plans and are advertised in Model Aviation. Lazer Lizard can cut the parts for you.

I did buy these plans a couple of years ago but the man on the phone said these plans were not ideal and really needed to be scaled up to around 75-80". As I understand it the designer was an old control-line guy and had built it rather stout. Also, he added custom retracts and a .60-size engine and it was nearly too heavy to fly. I decided that whenever I get to it (sigh!) I would forgo the retracts and do a lot of lightening on ribs and formers.

P.S. The Pancoast version had an 8' span. I was interested in the big Duck but never could reach Pancoast by phone. I have another set of his plans but to be honest they ain't the greatest.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:08 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

go to [link]http://www.firelandsfloatflyers.com[/link]. There is a giant scale duck the gentleman built from Grumman plans. I can get his name if you are interested.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:59 AM
dharrell

I have a J2F Duck i bought already to fly. Have little float experience but love the duck. Is it difficult to fly??
Old 10-08-2007, 12:06 PM
dharrell

I love this airplane. My all time favorite. Am not a builder but was able to trade for one at a large swap meet. I have pretty good flying skills off land. Never tried water but will attend a float fly next week. Will attempt to fly my e-flite cub with floats. Have always wanted to fly off water.

I am afraid to fly this beautiful duck.......are they difficult to fly? Hoping to find an instructor at this upcoming meet.

Any web site recommendations?

Thanks
Dean
Old 08-01-2009, 07:11 PM
ridezz

wood u sale the gumman duck ? my jason (928)208-8460
Old 08-01-2009, 07:22 PM
ridezz