Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

how do you cover float tips?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

how do you cover float tips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 03:14 AM
KingSalomon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you cover float tips?

It never says in the manual anywhere (Great planes .60 size) how you are supposed to cover the tips of the floats...
i think that i will just do it in small overlapping sections... has anyone done this? any tips, tricks, or advise? thanks
Old 02-28-2004, 05:50 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: how do you cover float tips?

What is wrong with the tips?
Old 02-28-2004, 08:07 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cover them just like you cover a wingtip. Look at the instructions that come with your covering film.
Attach the film to a solid surface next to the tip. Pull like hell to stretch the covering while you are simultaneously wrapping the covering around the tip of the float and heating it with the iron next to where it touches the float. This will let the covering conform around the tip. You can't stretch it after it's stuck down, and it will NOT shrink enough to remove any ironed-down wrinkles.

Cover the tips LAST. if you cover them first, the covering can be peeled back by the water. Think of shingles.
Cover you floats from the bottom rear of the float to the top front, and any overlaps will lie properly to keep the water from peeling the covering. If/when you ever have to patch the floats, do the best you can but you might sometimes peel the patch off.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:21 PM
All Thumbs

You're right, they don't say. I just overlapped my top, sides, and bottom pieces over the nose...no special piece. The main coverage was from the top. I pulled that down over most of the nose. The sides and bottom then overlapped that piece. I don't know if this picture will make sense, or even if it's too late, but here's what I did below (as I mentioned in another thread, I covered the bottom front in halves).

Chuck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29045.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	106484