Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Northstar

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Northstar

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 09:45 AM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Northstar

Try Balsa Usa for the plans. Cost is $17. Link is:

http://www.balsausa.com/kitplans/ite...=95&shopperid=
Old 04-28-2004, 12:54 PM
Skyman721
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried using a 3 blade prop on their Northstar? I see that there is a 10 x 6, 10 x 7 ,and a 10 x 8 three blades out there. What diiference can one expect compared to the same pitch, diameter 2 bladed? I'm about to order some props, and am wondering if it would be worth the money to invest in these. I have a new OS .46 AX for my northstar
Old 04-28-2004, 04:41 PM
John Hawkins

You're better off with the two blade. The three blades aren't very efficient in small sizes. The 10 x 7 would be my choice on the OS.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:50 PM
Hellbilly04
My Feedback: (1)

Hi ,

I just ordered the plans for a Northstar & didn't see anywhere in them how & where to water proof the plane before it's covered. The only part that has anything to do with water proofing is the bottom. Is this the only part of the plane that requires water proofing?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 05-04-2004, 04:22 PM
John Hawkins

Best to treat the whole plane as if it will be subject to water leakage. I used Monokote except for the front bottom which was glassed. The seams seal up really very well with the use of a quite hot iron on Monkote. The hinge locations are possible water entry areas so close attention should be paid there. I painted all the inner balsa with Balsarite to avoid soaking up water should some get in. A translucent covering on the bottom or top of the wing will let you spot any water that leaks in there. I had this happen when I didn't provide blocks for the aileron hinges and didn't have them sealed up properly. With the translucent covering I was able to spot the water and suck the it out with a syringe. A drop of CA sealed the hole. The Balsarite prevented the water being soaked up by the balsa. Because we most frequently fly in rough water with a lot splashing over the fuse i opted for a smaller hatch on top sealed with nylon screws and weatherstrip rather than the stock one which I think is difficult to seal. Seal it up as best you can. Leakage will increase the weight of the plane and rot it out in time.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:42 PM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm finally going to start my build this week. I plan to coat the entire model with Balsarite for film prior to covering. I'm also going to coat the fiberglass with the balsarite. That should not only waterproof the plane but also provide a good foundation for the Ultracoat. I've used this on land planes with great results. IMHO well worth the extra effort.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:59 PM
Hellbilly04
My Feedback: (1)

John-Wildcrashwillie

thanks for the info on the Northstar. I can't wait to get it in the air....
Old 05-05-2004, 10:21 PM
PeterC

I've been using a 9X7 Graupner 3 blade since the git go with my Northstar and think it performs great. With the GWS 47 and that prop I'm turning over 16K and get off the water relatively quick. Seems to fly just as fast and climb just as well as the fellows using the two blade props. Try one, you just might like it.
Peter
Old 05-13-2004, 03:07 PM
Bill Rademacher
My Feedback: (77)

I flew one which was built stock, with a servo in the tail for the elevator and a mini in the tail for throttle.

I used a Super tiger .50 with a macs muffler (the black pipe). 15% wildcat fuel. 11X7 prop, I think.

It flies great. A secret to the northstar is: keep it light.

Place the battery all the way into the nose, ahead of the landing gear nose mount.

Mount the servos all the way forward.

Hollow out the nose for some lead ballast.

good luck

Bill
Old 05-15-2004, 02:11 AM
perryvragon

FYI...
My Northstar modified with extended nose, V-tail, and working Canards. Powered w/OS46FX, 11x7.5 prop, YS/Saito 20/20 fuel...
All my pushrods exit from the top of the plane to help prevent water from entering the fuse...my hinges are sealed by I've still had some mositure in the left wing...fuse was v'd from the nose to about 6 inches in front of the step which was modified to 1/2 inch...all teh edges on the bottom of the fuse are sharp including the outrigger tip-floats which were angle-cut back...I kept the same amount of tip-float on the water but just cut back the profile...
Breaks the water in about a 100ft...very smooth in the air...the canards up front work in conjunction with the elevator...still has the infamous "delta wobble"... haha
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11199.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	132484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39681.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	132485  
Old 05-27-2004, 09:10 PM
rcairplanenut