Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Falcon or GP ARF floats?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Falcon or GP ARF floats?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 09:18 PM
sky_dancer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Falcon or GP ARF floats?

Well, I've been away from it a while but I'm ready to try my hand at this floatplane game again. I have a Superstar trainer that I've started recovering and redoing the wing mount system with the idea of making it a full time float plane. The two float options I'm looking at are the Falcon plastic floats and the GP ARF fiberglass floats. It seems like the Fiberglass floats would be more durable but the specs show the weight of the assembled float package to be 3.35 lbs. On the other hand the Falcon floats are shown to be 11oz. each. No weight is given for the assembled floats with struts and all but I can't imagine it would bump them up as heavy as the GP assembly. Falcon looks the way to go from the weight standpoint. Can anyone give me a good reason why the GP floats might be a better choice? I'm thinking Falcon myself.
How about it guys?
Old 06-27-2005, 10:00 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Falcon or GP ARF floats?

I can't say anything about the GP floats but I can about Falcon. They are made of a SOFT ABS plastic and have been very durable as far as mine go. I have 3 sets of them and they are super light and very easy to work with. I run mine right up on the beach most of the time and haven't had any problems at all. I have even dove them straight in a couple times, NO problem.
If you get the Falcon floats: when you get ready to assemble them pay attention to the mounting pegs. When putting them in make sure you SCORE the peg, then FILL the hole with epoxy, push the peg in and wipe off the excess epoxy with alcohol. This just helps make for a more solid mount.
By the way Falcon also has a nose mount for trikes, makes it easy to convert. falcon-trading.com.
These floats will also take just about any paint, I'm using the new Fusion paint by Krylon. ENJOY !!!! RED
Old 06-28-2005, 06:31 AM
seaplane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found out the hard way that the trike mounting system is not the best way to go. I made a pair of floats for my wife's plane and set them up with the trike mounting. She let the plane loose air speed and it dove straight in. Since the front mount was attached to the nose gear block, which was attached to the firewall, the whole front end ripped off including the engine. The engine was hanging from the throttle cable when we picked it up. I'd rather repair the under side of the fuselage than to possibly loose the engine. No more trike mounting for me! ..................Seaplane
Old 06-28-2005, 03:00 PM
sky_dancer

One thing I'm curious abot as far as trike mounting goes. Seems like to me that the mounting position of the float assembly will be pretty much dictated by the positions of the original landing gear on the plane. How does this effect placing the floats as far as setting the step in relation to the CG?
Old 06-28-2005, 04:11 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The position of the mounting brackets on the top of the floats is determined by you. Mount the brackets to the gear, set the whole thing on top of the floats and move the CG to the step. Mark the position of the brackets, drill and install.

Seaplane:

Use small nylon bolts to hold the nose gear bracket on. That way if you stuff it, the bolts should break before the firewall.

Jim
Old 06-29-2005, 05:35 PM
sky_dancer

Well I sure got to hand it to them for their service. I ordered the Falcon floats last night and today when I got home I had an E-mail saying they would ship today. Not long after that came the E-mail with the UPS tracking number. I got to get busy on this plane!
I've got the fuse covered again but the wing is still in the bones. I monted a hardwood dowel to the center rib on the front as a hold down. I reinforced the joint to the dowel with some tri stock and then layed epoxy soaked strips of fiberglass cloth across that.
It isn't coming loose! I've still got to figure out the wing bolt arrangement on the back. There's a Dubro kit but I don't know if I'll use that or do something on my own.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:52 AM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sky dancer --- I suggest you inlay hard wood blocks at the aft inside edge of the wing for your hold down bolts to go through, they don't have to be big just WELL supported. Good Luck. ENJOY !!!!! RED