Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Air Tanker

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Air Tanker

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 10:59 AM
newguy676
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Tanker

I'm trying to find some plans, kit, arf of a air tanker used for fire fighting that gets it water from gliding along a lake. I saw the full scale plane on a tv show but can't remember its name. I believe it was a twin engine. Help!
Old 10-12-2005, 11:43 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Air Tanker

Check out the video store for "Always", with Holly Hunter & Richard Dreyfuss & John Goodman. I believe the opening scene shows a PBY (Goodman supposedly at the controls) taking off a tranquil lake, some fishermen have to jump into the water as he goes over.

You might have seen that movie on TV. Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 10-12-2005, 12:28 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

probably a Canadair 215/415.......did it look like this? (appologies in advance for dial up users....)
Old 10-12-2005, 02:00 PM
newguy676

It was the one in the pic, the Canadair 215/415. Thanks. Now anyone know where i can find plans to build or buy one?
Old 10-12-2005, 02:31 PM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

G & P Sales has a Canadair 215 kit. You can check it out at http://www.rcairplane.net/index9.html

I haven't built it, but I have built the PBY and the 120" Gruman Widgeon and find them both good kits.

Rich

----------------------------

Wyoming Wind Festival Jan 1 to Dec 31
Old 10-12-2005, 05:25 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

RCM has plans.

Jim
Old 10-12-2005, 05:35 PM
Newc

Staggerwing - Which of the G&P Sales PBYs did you build? I'm looking at the 81" and 104" models and would appreciate any comments that you have about the plane you built, the quality of the kit, the power requirements versus Bill Price's recommended engines, flying properties, water properties, etc.

Thanks,

Newc
Old 10-13-2005, 11:00 AM
staggerwing

The 81" it's been a while since I built it. I lived in Indiana, of all places, at the time. I lived on Lake of the Woods near Bremen and flew it off my pier. For that reason I didn't build the landing gear. I had Saito .65's on mine and it flew great. Like most seaplanes a little chop on the water made take offs easier. Handled good on the water. The kit is well done. but it is not a beginners project. A friend of mine made fiberglass nacels and cowls for it because the ones that come with it are plastic and I didn't think they would last. Unfortunately I don't think I still have the molds. My dad was a PBY pilot and I built it to replicate one of the those that he flew. If you like to build you will enjoy it. Long, low apporaches and splash down were a blast.

FYI I am building the large Widgeon. It is becomming a multi-year project for a number of reasons. The fuselage is enormous, it came by freight and the crate is about 3'x3'x9', but the glass work is really well done. I am going to power it with two Brison 2.4s which I am breaking in now. I have the Robart retracts and the most interesting problem to be solved, right now, is the design of a box to enclose the tail wheel to keep the hull water proof and still be able to connect the steering cables.

Rich

-----------------------

Wyoming Wind Festival
Old 10-13-2005, 11:32 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

these folks have a CL-415 with a tank: [link]http://www.mraerodesign.com/[/link]
Old 10-13-2005, 02:36 PM
Newc

Staggerwing - Is it the G&P Widgeon that you are building? From the engine sizes you mention it sounds like the BIG one - the one with the 10' wingspan - right? I'm seriously considering the 104" Catalina and am debating what engines to use, and current thinking is YS 110s, with Saito 100s being second choice. Any comments?

I live on Lake Tippecanoe, and our club field is close to Nappanee. I flew at one of the fields that the Bremen club had - they have had at least two others since - a few years ago, so we are fairly close to where you were.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:18 PM
staggerwing

Yup, it's the G & P Widgeon. 120" ws. Has scale Robart retracts. The wings are foam with balsa sheeting. I would have to call it a short kit. You get the fuselage, the foam cores for wings and tail feathers, fiberglass nacels and wing floats. You have to supply everything else. I've acquired all the necessary wood, radio gear, retracts, engines, etc. and I'm beginning with getting the wings together and designing the mounting system for the engines. The 2.4's may be some overkill but I am at 6000' and need the extra power, besides I live in Riverton, WY and gas is king here since C & H Ignitions is in town.

I did belong to the Bremen SkyKnights while I lived in Bremen. I also belonged to the South Bend club but didn't fly there much. The Bremen club has a new field now. The Amishman who owned the old one sold neighboring land to the old one and the new neighbors didn't like the noise.

On your engines for the PBY, the YS should work, I would probably go with the 120 Saito though.

Rich

Old 10-13-2005, 09:38 PM
Canuck50

Staggerwing:
I am really interested in the CL-215 but have never built a kit. In your opinion am I biting off more than I can chew. There are some excellent float plane builders in our club peter c included and I am sure if I run into a problem they would assist me. These guys are extremely helpful and a great bunch to fly with
Old 10-13-2005, 11:21 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Howdy neighbour!! (I'm just up hwy 21 and Wye) Most of the the kits these days are pretty straight forward - especially the laser cut ones... It will take care and patience, but we do have a long building season to look forward to.. A twin is a bit more complicated with that extra engine...but, as you mentioned, Peter can help you with that!
Old 10-14-2005, 07:54 AM
Newc

Canuck50 - Staggerwing will hopefully also answer your question specifically for the 215, but for what it's worth, I don't think that a G&P Sales kit is the right one for anyone that is going to be building their first plane from a kit. I would think that something like a Sig 4 Star 60 might be a good kit for a first build. Also, you might want to build a kit that will use the same size engine as you will be using two of for the 215. (I would think that either a YS or Saito engine in the .61 to 1.10 range would be good for the 4* and the 215.) This will give you a flying platform for breaking in each of the two engines as you are building a more complex model. Just my opinion.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:17 AM
bear 57

Go here for details on a CL415. http://www.mraerodesign.com/ I have seen two built, one being my own. They fly very realistically on Thundertiger .54 FS(2).
A lazer cut kit is offered and I strongly suggest getting that. There are many pieces and cutting them out in a conventional manner would be quite a job. The fit on the lazer cut parts is extremly good. No need for gap filling ZAP! Hope this helps.
PM me if more info required.

bear57
Old 10-14-2005, 10:37 PM
Closterman

This what she look !!

If you need more info, contact me directly, or go to my website : www.mraerodesign.com

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59258.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	339241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt59997.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	339242  
Old 10-17-2005, 12:10 PM
staggerwing

Canuck 50. Didn't realize that this would be your first kit. I definitely think you need to have a few kits under your belt before you tackle a G & P kit. There is a lot of decision making left up to the builder in Bill's kits. You also need some experience working with fiberglass, putting formers in, etc. I am not familiar with the 415 kit, but if you have someone who can work with you, maybe it will work. It's always great to work with someone on a kit because you learn new techniques. I am working with a friend on the Widgeon, together we have about 102 years of building experience and we're still finding challenges that we didn' expect. I agree with J C Newc that you need to work with something like a * 40/60 (not to start an argument but I think the Tiger 2 or Tiger 60 is a much better flying plane) and get some experience building.

Rich

-----------------------------------

Wyoming Wind Festival Jan 1 to Dec 31
Old 10-17-2005, 10:36 PM
Canuck50

Thanks for the good advice. decided to go and buy the KMP Beaver. Got the G26 for it and it's an ARF. My kind of building. Thanks again
Old 10-18-2005, 12:38 AM
grinder-RCU

ORIGINAL: Scar

Check out the video store for "Always", with Holly Hunter & Richard Dreyfuss & John Goodman. I believe the opening scene shows a PBY (Goodman supposedly at the controls) taking off a tranquil lake, some fishermen have to jump into the water as he goes over.

You might have seen that movie on TV. Good luck,
Dave Olson
Here's the clip. http://media.putfile.com/fishing_in_fire-fg/800

Grinder.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:15 AM
moodier

Hi;Anybody see that water bomber that is for sale in the classifieds.Now that is an airplane.16' wingspan!!Real neat looking.don't know much about them but like the twin seaplanes.Out of my class price and size but sounds like some of you are into the big stuff.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:02 PM
FL510
My Feedback: (8)

I have been building the MRAerodesign CL415 with retracts. Here are a few pics. Goto the REVIEWS section at:

www.mtplans.com

Jed