Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
 KMP Beaver on floats >

KMP Beaver on floats

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

KMP Beaver on floats

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 09:09 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KMP Beaver on floats

Any thoughts as to whether a G-38 is too much engine for the KMP Beaver on floats. I see many have flown it on G-26, but since I own a G-38....well you get the idea.
Jerry
Old 01-07-2006, 07:44 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: KMP Beaver on floats

I would not do it do to the added weight... Mine with custom rigging and a G26 came in around 23 pounds... I put it on a lipoly diet and electronic ignition as well as mini servos to try and get the weight down. I am almost done withthe mods then will weigh it. I know of guys flying this at 17 pounds and loving it, while mine at 23 will only fly at scale speeds if you have full flaps hangin...I am hoping I can get to 18.5 or 19 pounds with the mods.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:52 PM

AKFlyer...thanks for the reply. What engines are they using to get the weight to 18 lbs. Looking to use gas not glow. I have a G-23 also but I don't know how much lighter it is than your G-26, but I do know that it has significantly less power.
Jerry
Old 01-07-2006, 07:59 PM

I put the electronic ignition on the G26 and shaved off the extra aluminum on it. Took 11 oz off just by doing that.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:00 PM

If you were to build another one, what would you say the perfect engine is for the Beaver, knowing what you know now. I was reading your earlier posts on the Beaver with the G-26 and you seemed to think the power was fine then. I'm still pretty much want to go with gas. What about the Evo 35 in it. Weight is similar to G-26, but with more power obviously.
Jerry
Old 01-09-2006, 05:59 PM

The g26 is fine, then I put on the onboard start... that adds 1.5 pounds. You could really tell a difference in the extra weight. It still has plenty opf power, but now flys faster. I have no interest in owning a pylon beaver, I have other planes for that. With the EVO 35, I bet ALOT more engine sticks out of the cowl. I bought a used MVVS 1.6 to put in it originaly, but the ignition was messed up when I got it and the Ahole would not refund my money or even return emails. The MVVS is about the the same weight as the G26 once you go to electronic ignition and shave the case.

Right now, if I were to buy new it would really be a toss up between the G26 and the MVVS. The MVVS would be ALOT easier to make a scale exhaust for, but I should have one done for the G26 in the next couple weeks.

As far as the power goes, please remember that I am doing most of the flying at sea level in temps 40-80 deg. I have flown it at 1,500' and it still flew great on the G26. If you are going to be flying at 4500 you may be wanting the extra power. Also, if you go with scale rigging about the most you can swing is an 18" prop. Even that eats some water if you dont put spray rails on the fronts of the floats.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:07 PM

Does the g26 fit in the cowl, and who makes the conversion for the electronic ignition. Magneto has to come off, halls sensor has to go on. Is CH still in business? Probably cost more to convert to ignition than to buy a Evo (mvvs) in the first place. g26 is $300, Evo 26 is $400 with the ignition.
Jerry
Old 01-09-2006, 10:02 PM

Only the plug cap sticks out the bottom of the cowl. The ignition is 125.00 from C&H, RC ignition sells the G26 with all mods done for 419.00 I think. Ralph says the moded G26 will out perform the MVVS and is the same weight.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:09 AM

Does any one have a sketch of the spray rails for the Beaver?? "Santa" left one behind and I would like the addition of rails.
I'm thinking of a Ryobi conversion for power, how many rpms are necessary with an 18-6 to go with a little reserve, or 18-8, 18-10, the Ryobi is happy with any of these.
thanks for any help
Allan