Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Anderson Kingfisher

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Anderson Kingfisher

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2002, 03:48 AM
DrYankum
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anderson Kingfisher

Anybody know if there's a 1/4 scale or larger Anderson Kingfisher available as a kit...something for a small gas engine.
thanks...Jerry
Old 11-28-2002, 05:31 AM
Balsageek

Default Anderson Kingfisher kit

Jerry,
I was wondering the same thing but I did some research. Here's what I could come up with so far. RCM sells 1/4 scale plans (which I now have). It's plan # 1060, I'm not sure about the price as I aquired them second hand. Its a big 3 sheet plan and is very detailed. This plane will be huge with its 108" wingspan. I'm also thinking about the small gas engine.

As for the kit. There is a guy in Austrialia who makes a short kit for it. The kit basically consists of a fibergalss fuselage. I emailed him and am still waiting on the price + shipping. I'm afraid it might be too much to ship it here.

Also check out the OCt 2001 issue of RCM. It has a small article about this plane.

I'll keep you posted,
Matt
Old 11-28-2002, 07:18 PM
kevin mcgrath
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The original article was in the February 1990 issue of RCM.Its an unusually complete article including 44 photos.The model was featured on the cover.Original recommended power was a .90 2 stroke or 1.20 4 stroke,and the article used a ST .90 which seems pretty anemic to me.
I think it would be perfect for a small gasser like the RCS1.4 or the 3w24..Im not sure how I feel about the G23,but it would be simpler with no ignition box or batteries to fit.
The extra weight of the gasser is not a minus cause they had to ballast the front end with lead anyway to counteract the power pod weight over the wing.......Its a magnificent model!
Old 11-28-2002, 09:14 PM
Balsageek

I was actually thinking about the G-23 or the G-45 for power on my kingfisher. The engines are so wide they should fit in the pod fairly easily, plus the weight shouldn't hurt much (huge wing). I'm still trying to figure out fuel management (probably a pump), and cooling. I'm going to need louvers or something on the pod to keep it from overheating.

Jerry, I sent you a PM regarding the kit.
Old 11-28-2002, 09:32 PM
kevin mcgrath

The G45 would be grossly too much of a good thing.The full scale version of this plane used a cub wing and the model is designed to fly on the wing not the prop.I would not go above 30cc or so on this lightly built model.You dont have to worry about fuel management with a gas engine,virtually all have their own pump ,and tank position vis a vis the engine is not a factor,high low or far away.Similarily as long as you get air through the fins and around the head,and maintain a hot air exit in the rartio of 2to 1 to intake you wont have problems as long as you dont run too lean......Take a look at the shrouding on any weeder or chain saw
Old 12-02-2002, 02:19 AM
jetranger-RCU

Default kingfisher

Kit cutters makes a kit of it $350 Kitcutters.com 714-962-8100
Old 12-02-2002, 04:29 AM
Balsageek

Kevin,
I understand the 2 to 1 airflow ration, but that's why I'd need louvers isn't it? In the back of the engine pod to allow some air to escape? I forgot about the pumper carb, thats right.... I don't need a pump do I? Also, I wonder how that new G-26 would fit in there? Or the RCS 1.8, or is that too big also?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 12-02-2002, 02:53 PM
kevin mcgrath

Its not the fit so much as the amount of power you subject the airframe to.The power pod can be re-designed to fit any engine or you can leave the whole cowling off for that matter.If you do go fully cowled the important part is to get the cool air through the fins even using baffles if you have to .The shape of the hot air exit doesnt matter as long as it has enough volume.I think the G23/26, RCS 1.4/1.8 would all be fine.If I build one it I would use a Ryobi 31cc I own with a CH ignition.They fit really nicely cause both the muffler and carb are on the back of the jug and its a slim longer package.
Old 01-31-2003, 12:56 AM
David Mosher

Ok folks...I have the RCM plans, and plan to start the wing next week.....any pointers/guidance before I start. Have copy of RCM article.

Cheeers...Dave :-)