Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Electric Sea Planes

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Electric Sea Planes

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 11:48 PM
greggK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Sea Planes

I want to convert a Sea Wind and a Beaver to an electric. Im also considering the 100" Goose for electrics? My concern is 1. the cooling of the Lipos which could allow H2O in the fuse? 2. The elec. motor it self getting H2O in it. Any sugestions? Thanks Yall
Old 10-03-2006, 11:58 PM
Wazmo

Default RE: Electric Sea Planes

1. You can derate the battery packs (make them much higher capacity than needed) to help with cooling problems. For example, use 20C packs when you expect to draw 10C at most. Alternatively, try to make the cooling air inlet and exit as far from the water as possible or fashion a scoop that will allow air in/out but block most of the water spray.
2. Electric motors, especially brushless, will run fine underwater. Salt water isn't especially good for them, though.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:00 PM
PH_AJH

Default RE: Electric Sea Planes

Hi
I have no problems with Lipos getting some spray on them. As longs as the connections are out of harms way, that is. The brushless ESC is amother story though. Just a few drops will blow it. And since the ESC needs a lot of cooling that is a problem. My (amateur) solution after smoking two of them: remove the stock heat shrink, make a longer one and shrink, seal the ends with regular blue Loctite RTV silicone. No more problems. I was worried the ESC might need airflow throuh the open ends of the heat shrink but this does not seem to be the case. It remains cool enough as it is.