Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Pics of FLoats

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Pics of FLoats

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 02:39 PM
rrweather
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics of FLoats

Anyone know of a good source of pics that show the rivets and details (panel lines) of floats? I am in the process of finishing the floats for my monocoupe. I got the rivets and I'm ready to start, just need some ideas. I don't need any specific type of float since I'm not going for a specific float model. I just want to add some rivets and panel lines to make it look a little better. I tried a google search but most pics are not close enough or a high enough resoluton to zoom in. I also tried searching RCU but the search results were too generic and didn't show too many with detailed pics. Anyone have pics of any they've done, I'd love to see some hi-res pics. I won't copy directly. I'm just looking for ideas and some references. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:21 PM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pics of FLoats

Take a look at Airliners.net and see if there is any help there. They have thousands of photos relating to just about any plane you can think of.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:28 PM
JimCasey

google Images of Brown's seaplane base and also EDO floats. Try other stuff as you think of it.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Bud Faulkner

Will this help?

Bud
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41118.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	614354  
Old 02-05-2007, 01:02 PM
Square Nozzle

Bud, if that airplane wasn't sitting on the table but shot in the water I would not have known it's a model. Absolutely splendid work.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Bud Faulkner

Thanks John, winter snuck up on me before I could get it down to the pond. But springs coming!

Bud
Old 02-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

You mean you are going to get it wet !!!!!![X(]

What did you use for rivit heads Bud? I know you told me a few years ago, but I'm drawing a blank. I've just started my BUSA 1/4 scale floats...The instructions show rivit locations, and I may just go that route...
Old 02-05-2007, 09:05 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

How 'bout these..........

Name:	Ca80960.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	614759   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44320.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	614760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82615.jpg
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	614761  
Old 02-05-2007, 09:10 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

and these......... I think I got these from the EDO website.

Bud, That's a killer Super Cub! I also thought it was a full scale, just glanced at the photo, went back for a second look when Mr. Palica commented.

Name:	Hf99637.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	614763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88475.jpg
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	614764   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27433.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	614765   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46477.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	614766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eq87240.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	614767  
Old 02-05-2007, 10:14 PM
kthmarks

Wow....great stuff. Does anyone make Floats for rc planes with retracts in em?
Old 02-06-2007, 12:52 AM
Bud Faulkner

ORIGINAL: Wayne22

You mean you are going to get it wet !!!!!![X(]

Yeah...scary aint it.

I used micro fasteners rivets with a pair of tweezers and ca after drilling all those holes (whew) as a friend of mine said....it's just a hobby.

khodges, you had to go and show one of my favorite planes durn it! I've been resisting one of those for years. And thanks for the compliment....rudder cables are in the works before I have to put it in the water (GADS!!!) do I gotta??

kthmarks, my plan to work on someday but haven't seen any.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:12 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

great stuff. Does anyone make Floats for rc planes with retracts in em?
Sea Commander (under the previous owner) had contracted an engineer to design amphibious floats. Unfortunately, he passed away before much progress was made....

Other than that, there was one fella here on RCU that put wheels (on a cub, I think) in a set of floats, but I don't think they were retractable...there is a thread here somewhere about it.......

Bud, thanks..I thought that is how you did them but then thought "Naaaa, that's way to much work...I'm sure he figured out something easier...."

Guess I was wrong............
Old 02-10-2007, 12:42 PM
rrweather

Thanks for the replies and pics. Bud, your work is really outstanding. I ordered the rivets you had posted a link to in another thread. I am not looking forward to drilling the holes! Have you (or anyone else) ever tried to make the overlapping panel lines along the rivet lines? I'm not even sure if that is what it is called. Basically make the float look like one panel overlaps the one next to it, creating a line along which you can add rivets. My buddy told me one way to do it. On this large of scale, I don't think his method will be noticable enough. His method is to use primer to build up a line befoe final painting. I tried it on one float but I think the final coat of paint will make the line dissapear. Normally you want the paint to hide the flaws; now I am trying to make the flaws visible through a few layers of paint! If I can't come up with an easy solution, I'll just add the rivets and keep going. It seems like you can spend as much time as you want adding scales details to the floats. At some point, it's time to just move on to the rest of the plane. Anyway, just figured I'd pick some brains on RCU about the overlapping panel lines. Thanks again for the replies and pics.

Randy

On a side note. I e-mailed Ryan at sea commander about amphibious float options. I think the only way to do it would be on a very large scale model so that the floats would be large with plenty of room to work with. It would also allow the additional weight to not be a factor. I have scoured the net looking for retracts that could somehow be modified to mount inside a float. Haven't come up with anything yet. I have added that project to the "one day" list.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Bud Faulkner

Thank you Randy,
As for overlapped panels I used masking tape on my old Kavan jet ranger helicopter and built it up with bondo then sanded it to the tape edge and feathered it back on the other side into the fuse then pulled the tape off and cleaned up the edge. Easy but time consuming.

Name:	Ay75045.jpg
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	617802  
Old 02-11-2007, 02:29 AM
rrweather

Thanks for the quick reply Bud. Bondo came to mind but I hadn't heard frm anyone that did it. I might give it a shot. My floats are going on the Kangke Monocoupe, so too much scale detail one the floats will make my plane look to plain! I might to play around with the floats tomorrow. Thanks again for the help.