Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Anyone flying a Lanier Seabird ?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Anyone flying a Lanier Seabird ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 12:48 AM
keet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone flying a Lanier Seabird ?

I've had a Lanier Seabird for quite a while,and I was wondering if anybody has a comment or suggestions about their plane to caution me for the first time i fly.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:35 PM
shv2sail
My Feedback: (42)

Keet-

I had one of those for a short time (until I flew it into a fencepost - dumb). Here are the things I experienced and issues I heard of when building/flying mine:

- Wing strength. The wings of these planes have been known to fold up in flight when experiencing higher positive G loads. Some level of reinforcement is recommended. I used fiber reinforced packing tape and 3M-77 adhesive along the bottom of the wing stretching from float to float.

- Water manuvering. This plane doesn't come stock with a water rudder, and if you're planning on flying off water in ANY breeze whatsoever you're definately going to need one - VERY hard to taxi without it. I made one from flat stock aluminum and mounted it to the rudder - worked nicely.

- Spray rails. This plane has a tendency to think it's a submarine without these - you'll have to make them yourself out of plastic stock in the kit (just follow the plans).

- Motor angle. Contrary to a standard 'motor in the nose' land-based plane that typically has a bit of built-in down thrust, this one needs a good bit of UP thrust - at least 3 degrees. With out this you're back to having a sub and not a plane.

- Overall weight. This plane is a bit of a pig - stemming directly from its construction. Lighten it up any where you can, and use an engine on the higher end of the recommended scale.

- Directional control. Some folks have had inline stability issues with this plane (I personally did not experience this). As a remedy, some have added vertical winglets (mini vert stabs) at the ends of the horiz stab with some success. My Seabird tracked very true hands-off. I did mix in some rudder (not a lot) w/the ailerons on my radio - nice clean turns.

Crash resistance. I know this one from personal experience. The plastic fuse is VERY easily shattered on impact - so be gentle. This is especially true when flying in cold weather when the plastic gets stiff and brittle. I was snow-flying mine when it met it's maker (wasn't even a hard impact).

Hope this helps!

Steve

ps- if you decide to not hang onto this plane, I'm still in the market for a Seabird fuselage (I still have a good wing and tail feathers).
Old 02-13-2003, 03:42 PM
ROGER RUSSELL
My Feedback: (12)

Default Throttle servo?

Had one too!
Liked it.
Wing folded in half during a loop, so do what keet said, reinforce.
Also, if I were to build another I would put a mini/micro servo up in the tank compartment and the run a servo extension down to hook to RX. Easier ??? than the setup they use??
Do put on the spray rails.
Old 02-13-2003, 05:23 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only one I ever saw left me without explanation: It would accelerate, get up on step, and stubbornly refuse to go fast enough to fly. It has a K&B .60 which should have been adequate, and in my experience once you're up on step the friction goes away...You may have needed spray rails, etc, but "on step" is past all that.
I was / am mystified.
Old 06-21-2003, 01:30 AM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine was never abything more than a fast boat. Wait...come to think of it, it wasn't all that fast either.
Paul Reese
Old 06-26-2003, 11:28 AM
mpj220

No longer support RCU
Old 06-29-2003, 02:58 AM
Bruce Rolfe
My Feedback: (37)

I have one also. I haven't flown it yet though. I put a O.S. .61 SF Ringed Heli engine on mine. Should be enough power. Nice to hear about the wings I will reinforce mine before I fly it. Who knows, anyone Interested in It?
Bruce