Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Which Saito for a Neptune?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Which Saito for a Neptune?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 06:20 AM
DNAer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Saito for a Neptune?

I decided to order a Neptune to give my Cessna 182 float plane some companionship. I have two motors available to put in it....Saito 62 or Saito 72. Any thoughts on which one might be the better choice. Have read through the threads and have seen comments about prop clearance and overpowering concerns. Or is this 6 of one and half dozen of another? Also, any build tips I should be aware of. Thanks for any input.

Jerry
Old 05-31-2007, 08:23 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Which Saito for a Neptune?

Given that choice I would pick the 72
Old 05-31-2007, 10:54 AM
DNAer

Is the Saito 4 stroke not a good choice for the Neptune?...I am open to other options. I am flying at a lake and I don't want to upset my neighbors so I typically use 4 strokes because of this.
ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Given that choice I would pick the 72
Old 05-31-2007, 06:14 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had a Sea Monster which is about the same size and have flown a friend's Seamaster, the same plane as the Neptune, and a Saito .56 is not the engine for it. On the Monster, I had both a Saito .72 and a Magnum .70 4-stroke and both pulled the plane well. I did use a 3-blade prop for the most part. The friend's Seamaster has a TT .46 in it and that's about the right size, not over powered, but good power. I have had a Saito .56 on a Sky Raider Mach I that was gioven to me that I converted to floats. It putt-putted along OK, but it was a trainer. The Neptune needs a good .46 or the Saito .72.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:14 PM
Crash-RCU

The Neptune is very close to a SeaMaster so you can more than likely only run an 11" prop, so which engine likes 11" props the best. Other than that a 4 stroke should work just fine.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:15 AM
foresterxt
My Feedback: (35)

I just finished putting together a Neptune with an old Magnum .61 fourstorke. I haven't maidened her yet, but I have a magnum .70 I'll put on if it's not enough power. By the way, the pylon is long enough that you can use a 13" prop without any problem.

Dave