Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

LT-40 float conversion -- question about options

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

LT-40 float conversion -- question about options

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 01:53 AM
DaveInLA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT-40 float conversion -- question about options

I'm about to get my hands on an LT-40 and am considering putting floats on it in the future. I've done some reading on this site, but I have some questions. Right now, my options are:

US AirCore floats
http://www.usaircore.com/accys/usaq2060.html
These look good at 36" and I think they're lighter than most floats at only 20 oz (is that each or for the whole set?), and they're reasonably priced. However, they don't have a water rudder. Also, they don't seem to be very popular, but I'm not clear why. Any ideas why?

Great Planes 40 size floats
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJ928&P=7
These are pretty popular, but I think I've heard that they're heavy, even though they're only 34.5". However, GP's website doesn't list their weight. Does anybody know for sure?

Great Planes .40-.60 ARF Sport Floats
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEKH0&P=ML
These are a little bigger at 38.5", but they look a lot more sleek than the regular .40 size floats. Also, they weigh 3.25 lbs-- is that lighter or heavier than the regular GP floats? The fact that they're pre-built is a plus in my book.

Plane Fun Floats
http://www.geocities.com/planefunfloats/
I hear the 34" floats are the ones to get from these guys. Some of the users here seem to like them. However, I don't know the weight. I also don't know how easily they install to the plane, if they even come with all mounting equipment, or if they need covering. I also don't know if they come with a water rudder.

As for the engine choice, many people seem to say that flying off water with floats (especially heavy ones) requires a more powerful engine. I'm thinking about putting a Magnum 61 four stroke in it. Do you think this will be sufficient?
Old 06-01-2007, 06:04 AM
DNAer

Default RE: LT-40 float conversion -- question about options

I can tell you about the plane fun floats....I have them on a Cessna 182 I converted to floats. They come in at 12 oz each for the size you are looking at, they come with great quality mounting hardware(4 attachment points with 16 brass screws) to attach to your plane, and they are balsa and plywood sheeted foam so you do need to cover them. I used a high gloss paint and then 6 coats of Miniwax Polycrylic sanded between each coat...keeps them lighter than glassing them, still very durable and they came out great. No water rudder so I picked up a Schnieder water rudder at my LHS. You will have to figure out whether you want to use piano wire or standard aluminum landing gear to use for the undercarriage and then attach to the mounting hardpoints that come with the floats.The guy who makes them lives in the Detroit area and packaged them really well and shipped them promptly....a super nice guy to work with. I recommend them highly.

Make sure you read the threads on float step placement and how it relates to the CG of your plane.

Jerry
Old 06-01-2007, 06:13 AM
flynfish44

I fly an LT-40 on floats and have a 46 engine in it . I have used both Great Planes floats and Plane Fun Floats and the engine is just perfect.
I do not know the weight of any of the floats but did not notice any appreciable difference between flying with wheels or floats.
The GP and PF floats both need some type of covering. I covered the GP floats with Monokoat and I glassed the PF floats. The GP floats did leak a little . That's one good thing about the PF floats --- they won't leak.
You can buy some 1/8 x 1 aluminum bar stock at Home Depot which makes great mounts for the floats. If you need I will post pics of how to do this.
Good luck and enjoy the water --- Ray
Old 06-01-2007, 01:36 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another!

http://www.slocanfloats.ca/index.html
Old 06-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

I've flown on plastic floats and built up floats and foam floats. Foam floats can't leak, they're light if you don't slop on a lot of paint, they are easy to repair and they last a long time.

We normally use water based polyurethane varnish and very light fiberglass cloth, but have done them with Monokote. I have seen them covered with colored tape.

I liked the Prentice foam floats sold by a man up near Niagara Falls, Canada, but he has closed down. I am trying Plane Fun Floats for a new plane.

If you want flat bottom foam floats, here is a place that sells them. You do have to sheet these. [link=http://users.cwnet.com/zdgreg/]John Sullivan floats[/link]
Old 06-01-2007, 07:08 PM
DaveInLA

ORIGINAL: flynfish44
You can buy some 1/8 x 1 aluminum bar stock at Home Depot which makes great mounts for the floats. If you need I will post pics of how to do this.
Please do! I've read about the Home Depot aluminum bar, but I wouldn't know how to bend 1/8" metal so that it's perfectly shaped.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:15 PM
flynfish44

Here are some pics of how to bend the 1/8 x 1 aluminum stock.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34696.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	695649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep84563.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	695650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us24573.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	695651  
Old 06-01-2007, 09:17 PM
flynfish44

Here are some more . Sorry --- I included a pic of how I bent wire for my mounts.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:20 PM
flynfish44

Well, it appears the pics did not make the trip --- must have been in a mid air. Lets try that again.

Name:	Nl28882.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	695652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83297.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	695653  
Old 06-01-2007, 09:25 PM
flynfish44

Unbelievable --- and they let my fly airplanes !!!! One more time ---- here goes ----

Name:	Ro41984.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	695658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82924.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	695659   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv54065.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	695660  
Old 06-02-2007, 12:35 AM
DaveInLA

Thanks for the pics, but I guess what I'm trying to ask is how you physically bent those metal bars? 1/8" of metal seems a little thick. How did you get it to be so symmetrical and perfect, is what I mean.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:16 AM
flynfish44

The pics I took were of a friends plane. Therefore I am not sure how he did it but I will see him today at a float fly. Here is how I would do it --- draw a picture of the way I want it to be ---- measure it and add a little extra on each end to be trimmed off after the final bend is made and cut it off the bar stock. Mark on the stock where I want the first bend to be and clamp the stock in my vise. Make a bend and then take the stock out of the vise and check the bend by placing the stock on the drawing. I would brobably bend each " foot " first and then the two bends at the top . Continue making the bends and checking against the drawing.
Be careful as some models are not flat on the bottom of the fuse and one mounting bracket may end up taller than the other. The rear bracket might be a tad higher as the fuse narrows toward the tail feathers. With this in mind , if you make the two the same height you might end up with too much incidence between the wing and the top of the floats.
It is not as hard to do as you might think. Good luck ----

Old 06-02-2007, 07:57 PM
DaveInLA

I don't know, I just think I might not have the tools to bend 1/8" of steel so precisely that it's symmetrical. Those floats sure do look nice, though!

Any thoughts on the US AirCore or GP ARF floats?

Also, when the instructions say that they're for a plane, say, 7-10 lbs, does that mean 7-10 lbs INCLUDING the floats, or without the floats?
Old 06-02-2007, 08:53 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

1/8" of steel
That's 1/8" of aluminum, not steel. Geez, steel would probably weigh enough to sink the airplane!

The weight capacity of the floats is usually given as the weight of the airplane, ready to fly, on wheels.

Jim
Old 06-02-2007, 11:01 PM
ag4ever

Even 1/8" steel bends rather easily.

1/8" aluminum beds like it is butter.

All you need is a vice and a decent smooth faced hammer to TAP the metal with. Tap, not beat.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:56 PM
DaveInLA

Any thoughts on my engine choice (Magnum 61 FS)? Will that power an LT-40 w/ floats?
Old 06-03-2007, 11:50 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Magnum 61 fs. Not the best for the job. I think you should have a bit more power for the job. I've flown an eagle II with light floats on a .61 FS and it was just enough power.

The LT-40 flies just OK with .46 2 stroke.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:20 AM
DaveInLA

I haven't heard much about a 61 FS on this plane, but from what I've heard, a .46 2 stroke is perfect with the LT-40 on floats.

Anyway, anybody know much about Hobby-Lobby floats?
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/floats.htm

There's some info on the expensive fiberglass floats that H-L sells, but i'm talking about the $50 ABS plastic ones at the top of the page. 34 1/4", 11 oz each without hardware, rudder setup included... sounds good, no? Any experiences on it?
Old 07-17-2007, 11:00 AM
captjckirk

Hi, I have an LT-40 with PlaneFun floats. The power is a Magnum .46 2S. The plane flys great, and will do all the tricks an LT-40 will do with wheels. I used 4* 60 landing gears to attach the floats. The water rudder is attached to the nose-wheel bracket with plastic tube. Be sure to balance the plane with the floats on and add what ever weight needed to the floats so when you go back to wheels you won't need to re-balance. Have a great time.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:34 PM
fledermaus

My LT-40 is on scratch-built balsa and ply floats, and it flies very nicely with a 0.46 turning an 11x6 APC prop. Very scale-floatplane like, but it can do a nice loop even so.

There are some pictures of it on my website: [link]http://www.mts.net/~mhultin/[/link]. Look in "My Hangar".
Old 07-23-2007, 11:45 AM
davids24beer

I have a LT-40 with US aircore floats, and a OS 70 4 stroke. I went with the OS 70 because the aircore floats have a lot of drag. It flys good with that combination. Without the floats I use a OS 46fx, which works ok.