Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

What do you fly from?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

What do you fly from?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2002, 05:53 AM
eagle 01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you fly from?

Just curious about your flying.I live on a lake but am unable to fly from my house as live on a small weedy bay surrounded by large trees.Fly off pontoon boat,which with many large boats is an extremely unstabel platform for flying while hanging on for dear life at same time.Have tried flying off friends dock but a 3'wide dock is not the easiest place either.Most pictures I have seen seem to be flying from land on a small lake.Hope to get to the Lake Havasu[sp] Az float fly this fall see how it is really done. I fly by myself which I also find less than satisfing seems more fun with some company but then you don't have the problems I read about at club fields.
Old 09-24-2002, 11:22 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like you, I can't fly in the back yard because I live on a small weedy bay surrounded by trees. Also, there's a "no engines" rule in the lake. The rule was obviously created to apply to boats, but I respect the intent of it.

My club flies from the bank of a manmade lake. Our vantage point is on a peninsula, so we have a lot of latitude setting up to align with the wind. We stand about 6 feet above the water level.

I learned to fly floats from a boat. I had an 18' runabout with a walkthrough windshield. It was ok but the freeboard was so high it was hard to grab the planes over the bow. I also flew from a 12' coleman plastic rowboat. We'd go out into the middle of the Tennessee River and fly from there. The river is nearly a mile wide since it's dammed up, and there was lots of room to fly.

If you have trouble with waves rocking the pontoon boat, suggest you go out on a weekday afternoon when it's quietest, and also sit down to fly.
Old 11-11-2002, 06:16 PM
Barrrick
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just finished reading your post...and how much SYMPATHY you get from me.
Having done the plane in the attached photo, I found it IMPOSSIBLE to locate
a good place to operate it. I crawled to the only Club in town with a water-
runway and was able to do the One and Only flight I have so far. The conditions
were horrible, will not return, but that is another story.
SO SORRY, the attachment doesn't work here. It is a Hangar 9 80" Piper Cub
on FLoats.So now I have a Float Plane and am unable to figure out where to
take it.
I share the problem with the other responder : Mr.Jim Casey in that the local lake
does not allow MOTORS, etc, etc, I suscribe to the same feelings, better to not
rock the boat.
Even then, it seems the use of some kind of boat (retrieval ? ) is mandatory, and
I don't have access to that, either.
We are both STUCK, partner
RICK
Old 12-01-2002, 01:10 AM
donkey doctor

Hello; We fly every Monday from Quamichan Lake, a local park with a big parking lot and a sloping beach and easy water access. We pased the hat and bought an electric thruster for our pea pod type row boat for rescue service. Occasionally it's too windy, but usually it's just right. We've been flying there for more then 15 years with no problems.
I live on another, much larger lake, and have flown many times from many different places on our lake. Local people will usually watch politely and sometimes applaud a good landing.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2002, 08:28 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

You need a boat for retrieval whenever and wherever you float fly. Murphy's law applies.
It doesn't have to be fancy, just something to get you where you can't walk.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	retrieval.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	14  
Old 12-03-2002, 02:05 PM
alasdair

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Ideally you always want to have access to a boat, just to appease Murphy's Law and make a crash less likely, but it is possible to manage without.
My club flies from a loch (in Scotland) just over a mile long.
We have access at both ends and I generally fly only with an onshore wind, anything from 3 to 10 mph is OK, and then you don't really need a boat. If the engine stops the model will drift in to shore. Even if you have a crash the bits come in eventually. Just don't pile it in hard a long way out or you'll have a long wait.

We have access to a boat at one end of our loch, but I last used it 10 years ago - and that was to pick up the wreckage of a landplane which stopped listening to the radio. When we run Splash-in events we naturally hire a boat specially for the occasion. See the gallery on our club website which includes photos and video clips of splash-ins at
www.gvmac.com