Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Floats for a Sig LT40

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Floats for a Sig LT40

Old 03-11-2009, 07:32 PM
grizwald

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Floats for a Sig LT40

Last year I tried float flying but the results were disasterous. This year I am building a
Sig LT40 that I want to put on floats. Any help that you can give me as to the type of
floats ( I was thinking great planes 40 or 60 size floats) how some of you that have
an LT40 on floats mount them ect. Any help would be good at this point.
I did go to a float fly last year an got a few good pointers, I just want better results
than last year. thank you lou.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:36 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Floats for a Sig LT40

The floats you refer to are considered heavy and larger than the apparent reference size.

There are at least 5 foam-core float manufacturers listed in the FAQ sticky. Foam-core floats are light, durable, strong, efficient, and don't weigh a lot. Also they can never sink.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:28 PM
flynfish44

Hi Guy,
I have an LT-40 on floats. It is a great plane to put floats under. I did use the GP 40 size floats for the first few years but found that it was almost impossible to keep them from leaking and still stay light. My brother makes and sells foam core floats that I now use, light weight and they don't leak. See - www.geocities.com/planefunfloats
You can buy 1/8" x 1" aluminum bar stock at Home Depot. See attached pics for how my flying buddy made and attached his.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11141.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	1155860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16698.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	1155861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv54992.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	1155862  
Old 03-11-2009, 09:55 PM
42etus
My Feedback: (2)

I've got a set of these. They're fiberglass and extremely light.
http://www.valleyviewrc.com/New%20Ba...s%20Floats.htm
Paul

Old 03-12-2009, 09:40 AM
grizwald

Hi Paul I like the idea of fiberglass floats (no balsa to get wet). I thought that 33 inches would have been too short
for that plane, did you use the supplied mounting hardware to put them on your plane or did you use something else.
thanks Lou
Old 03-12-2009, 03:27 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: grizwald

Hi Paul I like the idea of fiberglass floats (no balsa to get wet). I thought that 33 inches would have been too short
for that plane, did you use the supplied mounting hardware to put them on your plane or did you use something else.
thanks Lou
I just used the valleyview floats on my skyraider mach 1 and they work great. The supplied hardware works great, and is setup just like the mount shown by flynfish44, but you will have to seal the holes with silicone which was easy. I think my plane is about the same size as the LT40 cause I have flown both. Here is a video of mine flying.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9t3-mgryhs[/youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9t3-mgryhs
Old 03-12-2009, 08:58 PM
grizwald

I talked to the guy at valleyview today and he told me they sell a lot of these floats
and that they fit the Sig LT40 nicely so I ordered a pair. The only troble is I still have
a few months before the lake is free of ice.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:30 AM
captjckirk

My LT-40 has Planefun floats on it and they are great. Power is a Magnum 46. you can't beat that combo. I had an extra set of Flyin King landing gears so used them instead of alum bar stock, worked out fine. The LT-40 makes a really good float plane, you will enjoy it.