Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Kadet LT-40 Kit a good first float plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Kadet LT-40 Kit a good first float plane?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 09:25 AM
FentonFlyer
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kadet LT-40 Kit a good first float plane?

Hi all,

I've been flying and building for almost 10yrs, so I'm well past the trainer stage, however, I've never flown off water. I want something stable and with a large enough wing to handle the extra weight of the floats. I was considering an LT-40 kit. I want to build it myself so I can make the necessary mods to float it.

Do you guys think this is a good idea? What type and size floats would you recommend?
I'm thinking either a 70 or 91 FS for power.

Thanks for any input!!
Old 07-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Kadet LT-40 Kit a good first float plane?

The LT-40 is an excellent platform for floats. Rule of thumb on float length is 75% of fuse length. 91 4 stroke may be a bit much, and the 70 might not do the trick. A Saito 82 would be awesome. Just make sure you prop for speed, not thrust. Good luck, and have fun!
Old 07-08-2009, 10:58 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think a 70 would be plenty - and yes, the LT40 is a great choice.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:00 PM
jeffo
My Feedback: (68)

I have a O.S. 55AX on mine,plenty of power-Great first float plane-jeffo
Old 07-09-2009, 05:40 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

The LT-40 would carry floats if it only had an OS.40LA. I have buddies that fly Kadet Seniors with no more power than that.
A nice ball-bearing 45 or a .70 4S will give you more power than you need. You'll see the extra power in your steep climb angle and shortened takeoff distance.

The beauty of Kadets is how slowly they can go, not how fast. If you put in a 23CC gas motor the plane would only be too heavy but probably no faster.
Then again, too much power is not enough for some guys.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Augie11

I agree with everyone- the LT 40 is a great first float plane. We're at 5300 ft. up here and we go with .55Ax's or .82 four strokes. The .70 four stoke should be ok near sea level. We have them with built up floats (the Great Planes are good) as well as some prefab fiberglas. Just follow the 75-80% rule of thumb.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:09 AM
PulseXT40

ORIGINAL: Deadeye
Just make sure you prop for speed, not thrust.
Actually you should prop for more thrust instead of speed. The extra thrust will help for take-offs.

Do this by using a larger diameter prop with less pitch.

Josh,
Old 07-11-2009, 12:25 AM
Deadeye

ORIGINAL: PulseXT40

ORIGINAL: Deadeye
Just make sure you prop for speed, not thrust.
Actually you should prop for more thrust instead of speed. The extra thrust will help for take-offs.

Do this by using a larger diameter prop with less pitch.

Josh,
Sorry to disagree, but unless you have a ridiculously overpowered plane, all you will do by propping for thrust is make a big wake. You have to build the speed to get the plane on step. Thrust isn't going to do that for you. Speed will. Water takeoffs are a totally different animal, with a lot more factors than taking off of terra firma.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:38 AM
JimCasey

Mr. Deadeye Moderator, sir,
If I may humbly interpret,
There is a middle ground between Your remarks and PulseXT40's post.
It is beneficial to have the thrust to transition the plane from displacement to Planing on the step.
For those of us who have water-skiied, we'll remember that when the boat starts out it pulls harder than one can imagine, then once you're on top, The skis make so little drag that it can be hard to keep the rope tight.
Same thing with floatplanes.
Since you are in Montana, you may be more familiar with snow skiing. I tried Snow skiing but found it to be abusive to my boat. Bit I digress.
Certainly it is necessary to have the speed to fly, but I have found it advantageous to change by one prop size. e.g.: A .40 size plane would use a 10-6 can benefit by trying an 11-4.
12000 rpm with a 4" pitch prop would be 45 mph. Plenty fast enough for a Sig Kadet that'll fly at 15 mph.
It's like dropping out of fifth and into third gear to pull a load or to climb a hill. The lower-pitch prop will have more pulling power to get the plane up on step, and it will have more thrust to steepen the climb angle. Also, when landing, the larger propeller disc will help slow the plane so it is possible to come in more steeply over the plane-eating trees in the godforsaken snake-infested swampy briar-patch on the opposite shore and to place the landings more safely.
Respectfully relating my experiences,
Old 07-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Deadeye

ORIGINAL: JimCasey

Mr. Deadeye Moderator, sir,
If I may humbly interpret,
There is a middle ground between Your remarks and PulseXT40's post.
It is beneficial to have the thrust to transition the plane from displacement to Planing on the step.
For those of us who have water-skiied, we'll remember that when the boat starts out it pulls harder than one can imagine, then once you're on top, The skis make so little drag that it can be hard to keep the rope tight.
Same thing with floatplanes.
Since you are in Montana, you may be more familiar with snow skiing. I tried Snow skiing but found it to be abusive to my boat. Bit I digress.
Certainly it is necessary to have the speed to fly, but I have found it advantageous to change by one prop size. e.g.: A .40 size plane would use a 10-6 can benefit by trying an 11-4.
12000 rpm with a 4'' pitch prop would be 45 mph. Plenty fast enough for a Sig Kadet that'll fly at 15 mph.
It's like dropping out of fifth and into third gear to pull a load or to climb a hill. The lower-pitch prop will have more pulling power to get the plane up on step, and it will have more thrust to steepen the climb angle. Also, when landing, the larger propeller disc will help slow the plane so it is possible to come in more steeply over the plane-eating trees in the godforsaken snake-infested swampy briar-patch on the opposite shore and to place the landings more safely.
Respectfully relating my experiences,
Jim,
I'm not Mr. anything. Just because I am a moderator doesn't mean all my answers are the right one. I was only speaking from experience as well. My experience.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:34 PM
JimCasey

>>I'm not Mr. anything. Just because I am a moderator doesn't mean all my answers are the right one. I was only speaking from experience as well. My experience.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:27 AM
Deadeye

[quote]ORIGINAL: JimCasey

>>I'm not Mr. anything. Just because I am a moderator doesn't mean all my answers are the right one. I was only speaking from experience as well. My experience.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:59 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

You are not allowed to use seaplane and nerd in the same sentence. [:'(]
Old 07-13-2009, 08:40 PM
JimCasey

ORIGINAL: 4*60

You are not allowed to use seaplane and nerd in the same sentence. [:'(]
C'est ma Nom!

Old 07-14-2009, 11:18 AM
captjckirk

Back to LT-40s and floats, My LT-40 has Planefun floats and a Magnum 46 for power, it is the right amount of engine and will do anything you ask it to do. My grandson soloed with it, so you can bet it is a great first float plane.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:42 AM
FentonFlyer

Wow, thanks for all the great replies. Now I just need to order that kit and floats. I'll probably go with Plane Fun since he's local...
Old 07-15-2009, 06:47 AM
goirish

Hi, X Grand Blanc Guy here. Where do you fly? We get back to the area several times a year. We are near the Ohio-Indiana-Michigan border.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:29 AM
FentonFlyer

I belong to the Holly Cloud Hoppers. Our field is south of Grange Hall Rd just west of I-75. Come on out anytime!
Old 07-16-2009, 08:59 PM
seaplane

Fentonflyer, I'm the maker of the Plane Fun Floats and I was in Fenton Sunday morning and Wednesday afternoon. I could have hand delivered a set on either day. We stopped there for breakfast Sunday on the way to a 3 day fishing trip and on wednesday we stopped there at a fabric shop since my wife is a quilter. I figure 3 days of fishing is about equal to 1/2 hour in a fabric shop! Don't know why she thought I was rushing her? Anyway, you can't go wrong with the LT-40, it makes a great float plane.
Seaplane
Old 07-17-2009, 06:40 AM
FentonFlyer

ORIGINAL: seaplane

Fentonflyer, I'm the maker of the Plane Fun Floats and I was in Fenton Sunday morning and Wednesday afternoon. I could have hand delivered a set on either day. We stopped there for breakfast Sunday on the way to a 3 day fishing trip and on wednesday we stopped there at a fabric shop since my wife is a quilter. I figure 3 days of fishing is about equal to 1/2 hour in a fabric shop! Don't know why she thought I was rushing her? Anyway, you can't go wrong with the LT-40, it makes a great float plane.
Seaplane
Darn it!! Story of my life...
Hope you had a good trip.
Are you going to any local swap meets this winter? I wont be needing the floats until then.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:23 PM
JimCasey

Fentonflyer,
If you remain a regular on this forum you will tire of my preaching this, but you really should consider foam-cored floats. If there are any better than the Plane Fun floats offered by Seaplane, I do not know of them. They are light, strong, efficient, and attractive. Foam-cored floats can't sink!

Links on my website to Plane Fun, as well as other foam-cored float manufacturers (Active and defunct).
Old 07-17-2009, 07:24 PM
seaplane

FentonFlyer,
I usually get a table at the Northville swapmeet (november I think) and I will be at the Midwest Regional float fly at Island Lake in september.
Seaplane
Old 07-18-2009, 07:48 AM
JimCasey

".......this winter? I wont be needing the floats until then."

Heck, a Kadet LT is an ARF, and all you have to do is cover and mount Seaplane's floats. You could be flying next WEEKEND!!!
If you wait 'til winter to start building then you're gonna want to go flying in the spring when it's all muddy and slushy in MI. It's really windy in the spring, too.
Hurry! do it now while the weather is right!!!
Old 07-20-2009, 06:58 AM
FentonFlyer

Jim,

I want to build the LT-40 kit, not ARF. Also, unfortunately winter is the only time I can devote tons of time to R/C. Between kid related activities, dirtbiking, and helping a friend remodel her lakefront cabin(which is where the kadet will call home), I've only flown off grass 3 or 4 times all summer...

seaplane,

See ya at Northville. I hit that one every year.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:32 PM
JimCasey

Fentonflyer:
Bless you, lad, for being a kitbuilder. So few of us are left.
Confession: I didn't even know the LT was available as a kit. Senior and Seniorita.......

I built a Senior for my son a few years back. Changed a lot of stuff.
Bolt-on flat wing, Flaps, Ailerons, Round wingtips and the tips on the control surfaces. 4 servos in the wing. Magnum .70 4-stroke-moved the firewall back 1 1/2" to help the balance. I made a set of floats to fit it. Taildragger when the wheels are on. Removable cowl instead of just cheeks.

It flies GREAT. Since I redesigned most of it, it did take me a long time to build.

Good luck with the LT-40.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.