Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

ULTRA STICK 40 WHAT SIZE FLOATS AND SUGESTIONS ?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

ULTRA STICK 40 WHAT SIZE FLOATS AND SUGESTIONS ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 12:03 AM
robtv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ULTRA STICK 40 WHAT SIZE FLOATS AND SUGESTIONS ?

Have a hanger 9 ultralstick 40 need some help looking for some floats, size and where could i find some
Old 07-25-2009, 05:50 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ULTRA STICK 40 WHAT SIZE FLOATS AND SUGESTIONS ?

Rob,
The FAQ sticky has lots of stuff to answer your question, including 5 places to buy really good foam-core floats.

go here: http://www.smilesandwags.com/Floatsite/FAQ.html

Since you are in Kissimmee, you might want to zip over to the Florida Float Flyers pond in Dover (Just west of Plant City)
I-4, South on McIntosh road, Left on MLK(574), south on Dover road about a mile, right immediately before the tracks.
They fly Saturday mornings from around 8 to 10:30 or 11, then everybody grabs brunch.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Oregon Craig

Try the 34" .40 size floats from Plane Fun Floats. I have a US 40 I've flown for about 5 years with a pair of the Arc/Modelfly floats, which are now hard to find. I've always used a .46 2 stroke, but I'm in the process of installing a .72 4 stroke. I have about 3 more float fly dates this year and I wanted to do something different to it for a change. That, and I need to make sure the .72 is working so I'm making an Ultra Stick test stand!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51146.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	1245498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63316.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	1245499  
Old 08-04-2009, 11:11 PM
Oregon Craig

Saito .72 installed and running great. Hits the lake August 15th. Should be fun. It sure sounds cool!
Old 08-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Cosmicwind

Robtv,

I'm not sure of the best floats for this plane, but I can say that the GP 40-60 sized fiberglass floats are too big (and heavy) for this plane. I put these floats on my 40 sized Ultra Stick and changed from a 46FX to a 60 engine. It floats good, and flies well off snow, but these floats are just too much drag and weight for this plane. It is also very clumsy in the air. Not a smooth flier like you'd expect from a stick. I just ordered a pair of 34" (40 sized) Plane Fun Floats to replace the GP floats. I expect this to be a big improvement. [8D]

Dave S.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:42 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

Maybe this is my primary issue. I have a set of GP floats on my Avistar with an OS 46AX and I've had nothing but trouble. The first time I tried to fly off the water the plane could barely pull off the water and when it did, the tail heavy balance combined with a lack of airspeed caused a loss of control. I just got a new set of floats but have been unable to achieve the key setup distances that are recommended. In order to get the cg near the step, the prop has to be 6" behind the front of the floats which is apparently much too great. I've wondered if they are just too big for this plane.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:52 PM
beau0090_99

First things first.
Balance the plane without the floats on it. Make sure it is good before mounting the floats. Then put the floats lined up with the step about 1/2" behind the CG and see how that looks. If that doesn't look right, how long are the floats in the first place? They should be about 75-80% the length of the prop washer to rudder hinge line distance.
Good Luck,
Curtis
Old 08-16-2009, 09:06 AM
Cosmicwind

The GP floats (40-60 size) are about 38 1/2" long. Quite a bit longer than 75% of a 40 sized Ultra Stik (44 1/2" prop nut to rear hinge line). My stick rotates off the water fine, it just needs a lot of speed to fly. In the air it is very heavy. Marginally powered with a 60. I'm replacing the floats with 34" foam core (plane fun floats) units. I'm sure this will be a big improvement.

Dave S.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:33 AM
42etus
My Feedback: (2)

Check these floats out http://www.valleyviewrc.com/New%20Ba...s%20Floats.htm . These fit the US40 perfectly and are quite light. There must be half a dozen guys in our club ( me included) that use these on 40 size planes and love 'em.
Paul
Old 08-16-2009, 10:49 AM
Oregon Craig

If you don't like red or yellow, here they are in blue bottoms. http://www.maxfordusa.com/hz-40-fiber-floats.aspx

Flew my US40 on ARC ABS floats yesterday. With a .72 turning a 13X8, it felt lighter, faster and more aerobatic.
Got on step and lifted off about two clicks above half-throttle. Had some idle issues and had to take the rowboat ride of shame. Twice. I think it's all sorted now, but no float meets 'til Sep. 20. [&o]

Received my Plane Fun Floats last week for my winter build project. Most excellent craftsmanship and very light. Recommended.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:10 PM
beau0090_99

30 ounces for those things? Really? I would go with some sheeted foam core floats. I am building a set of foam cores that will support 10lbs dead weight, so 5-6 pounds well and they are about 9 ounces all sheeted up. I can't imagine how bad a 40 sized plane would fly by adding that much weight to it.
Good luck,
Curtis
P.S. For Foam Core floats that are sheeted, check out Jim Casey's website (smiles and wags) or this site http://www.seaplanesupply.com/