Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

40 Size GP Cub Float Positioning

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

40 Size GP Cub Float Positioning

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 03:05 PM
hutchis
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 40 Size GP Cub Float Positioning

Group, I have finished my GP 40 size float kit and am positioning them on my cub. I know this is important and I want to get it correct before I reinforce the fusalage for the aft float struts. The GP float manual indicates for the cub, the deck of the floats should be parallel to the bottom of the wing. The forward struts are currently stationary, and are the same struts used for the wheels. The aft struts are currently free and can be moved forward or backwards (against the fusalage) to achieve the correct angle. To achieve the correct angle of the floats, I set a small level on the floats then manipulated the floats until they were level on the working table. Once level, I then placed the level on the wing sadle and then re positioned the aft struts until the level on the wing sadle become level as well. At this point, I can place the level on both the float deck and the wing sadle and they are both level.

Before I reinforce the fusalage to mount the aft struts ,I wanted the group to see the pictures and let me know if I am in the ballpark here or if I have missed something. I am hoping my pictures will give you the opportunity to eyeball the float setting and give me your input.

Thanks....Hutch
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85690.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	1358171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79202.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	1358172  
Old 01-17-2010, 05:16 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: 40 Size GP Cub Float Positioning

That should work.

You want 1.5 - 2 degrees of positive incidence in the wing with the floats level. On the Goldberg Cub, it APPEARS to have a flat-bottom wing, but the LE actually rises a bit forward of the spar, so that with the flat part of the wing level, you should wind up with a slight positive incidence.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:30 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 40 Size GP Cub Float Positioning

Your procedure for leveling the floats is correct. To me it appears that your step is 1 1/2 or 2" ahead of where it should be. It should be about 3/4 inch behind the balance point.