RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Seaplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/seaplanes-176/)
-   -   Seaplane pictures (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/seaplanes-176/2341739-seaplane-pictures.html)

britbrat 06-27-2005 10:37 AM

RE: Seaplane pictures

1 Attachment(s)
Seamaster over the Laurentian Hills at Deep River. Hmmm I just noticed how fuzzy it is when you crop it & blow it up -- sorry folks

Strykaas 06-28-2005 02:49 PM

Very nice work, Bud ! This is quite a heavy duty setup ... Isn't it too heavy ?
I guess this is made of aluminium... Is there any room for "play" in the system in the long term ? I would bet aluminium would not handle structural stress that good ...

Your floats look so real , are they made of aluminium too or wood ?

sky shark 06-28-2005 04:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They are almost done. Hoping to have it flying in the next month or so!

Phil Parmiter 06-28-2005 04:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,
I have finished my Sunderland, as yet i have to fly it off of water but with the addiction of two dolly wheels fixed in the the hull it lfies off land superbly... The wing span is 165 inchs and it is a home design, using a high lift wing profile.wieght is 44.8 lbs. I am hoping to fly it on the uk show circuit during 2005
Happy landings
Phil

Bud Faulkner 06-29-2005 12:30 AM

Thanks strykass,
The floats are fiberglass and all up weight (floats alone) is roughly 5 lbs. The aluminum brackets are made from bar stock and should have no problem structurally. 6061 T6 would have been the best grade but I used a slightly different grade. Should be no play as everything is cross braced. Should have no problem weightwise with the 160 and that big wing.

Sky shark....excellent job, how about giving us the low down on how you did the detail and what material you used? Looks like sea commander floats.

Phil...you are to be commended, that's a beauty. I can imagine the work that went into it.

sky shark 06-29-2005 11:25 PM

Bud,

They are Sea Commander floats with the Sea Commander strut system. After seeing your floats it inspired me to give mine some detail. The info and pics you e-mailed to me before I started was a big help (Thanks). The rivets are microfastener's, 1/4" plastruct L was used as angle and the hatch covers where made from a round servo horn and O-ring. They are primed and painted with dupli-color laquer spray paint purchased from autozone.

Bud Faulkner 06-30-2005 12:19 AM

Sky shark,
Thanks and you're welcome. Just happy I could help, you've done a beautiful job on them. I seem to remember sending you pictures of the bottom also, did you add rivits there too? I still haven't done my water rudders. Are you using ernst rudders? Looks like you have a pulley system....That's what I plan on doing too. How did you rig and what did you use for pulleys?

JAkridge 06-30-2005 03:55 PM

Bud.....Very nice plane indeed.
Here's my second try off water. I just finished my Extra 260, SOoooooooo I'm looking for that 3rd float plane. The best part is my Wife really like's the float planes, and thats a good thing :D

Bud Faulkner 06-30-2005 04:37 PM

Nice! Almost bought one of those but bought the big stick 40 instead for my Irvine 46. If your wife likes float planes you've got one up on a lot of guy's. :D

lettucelord 07-01-2005 12:32 AM

Any of you seen a Us Aircore Trainer on floats? OH MAN I have one and its soooooooo great. It is really pretty in the air and flys like a real floatplane with a .40 in it. It gets on the step and then flys, instead of just off the water and strait up. You really need to coax it into the air, GREAT FUN. Once it gets going, its quite quick moving, oh I also live in the San Juans and there is a float plane airline with turbine beavers and if I fly next to one in the air, they are very hard to define which is which. I suggest this plane to anyone who wants an all around fantastic floatplane.

sky shark 07-03-2005 02:30 PM

Bud,
No I didn't add rivets to the bottom of the floats, however I did add strakes (I think that is the correct term) like you would find on a boat hull. The water rudders are Ernst which will be retractable when done. As for the pulley system I used robbe 12x6mm rollerblocks (part #1322) and robbe stainless steel cable (part #1321). I have no pics of the pulley system as of yet, I'm still toying with different configurations. As soon as I get it done I will post some pics.

Bud Faulkner 07-03-2005 03:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks skyshark, Don't know if I sent this one or not but I added strakes also.

damifino 07-04-2005 11:40 AM

I'd like to hear from some float fliers with 1/4 scale Cubs/Super Cubs and gas engines. I'm considering a 31 cc Ryobi w/ electronic ignition. Your shared experiences would be appreciated........Thanks

Gravityisnotmyfriend 07-06-2005 01:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my contribution. They're scratch built floats on a World Models Super Sport 40S. Thanks to my buddy JR for the photos.

Gravityisnotmyfriend 07-06-2005 01:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got more. I had some issues uploading....

flypilot 07-11-2005 03:43 AM

Go to this site for some pictures and a video.
[link=http://home.no.net/flypilot/rc/]Float pictures[/link]

Sorry, language is in Norwegian :-)

HA

beenie 07-11-2005 08:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just finished floating my converted Sig 1/6 scale Super Cub. The floats are hollowed pink foam with hardwood hardpoints. Not very origional but flies and looks good. Here's a link to the tread about making a J3 into a PA18.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_25...tm.htm#2578593
Ben

Primodus 07-11-2005 11:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just finished adding floats to this familiar bird. I even got to test float it before Dennis hit!:)

hILLVILLE 07-22-2005 12:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I want to thank all you Northstar builders for your input in the forum. I really liked the covering job on Ryanpilot's plane. I have been silently watching and learning from you guys as I have been building. Today I finished it, took some video and pics, and then had a maiden flight. What a fantastic plane. I'm using a Vmax46 with a 9x8 prop. I'm going to try a three blade prop or a 10 inch prop. My 10 inch prop is so close to the fuse that I was a little worried about a hard landing and cutting the plane to shreds. Just wanted to thank all of you who have been sharing your thoughts and ideas with some of us who are quitely building and learning. I am a teacher and my auto-reply is to the school, so if you want to talk to me: [email protected]. Thanks guys.

Strykaas 07-22-2005 01:11 PM

Hi HillVille !

Congrats for your maiden ! And for sharing these pictures as well... I have some free web space to host a vid if you wish.

teryn1 07-22-2005 06:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tradewind Taxi Tests are underway - hasn't flown yet.

Strykaas 07-23-2005 04:43 AM

Holy ***** [X(] ! What a nice one !
I guess you've noticed the rudder fin is trying to get away (4 th pic).
What do you guys use for power ?
And where did you get the plans ?

hILLVILLE 07-23-2005 11:10 PM

After reviewing my son's video, I found that he only recorded one low pass. I'll try again soon and take you up on your offer. Thanks. My plane balances out at the CG point on the plans but I have not had a good landing yet. The first one was with the wind and was a little sideways. Today I had a deadstick and you should have seen the wheelie. That nose was so high and she made a nice loud smack coming in from 3 feet up. Glad I glassed the bottom per the instructions. Is this what I can expect without getting that engine dialed in? It is about a 100 degrees here and I can not get a low idle. Any advice???

Strykaas 07-24-2005 03:30 AM

Northstars are known to be able to land "vertically", I mean they can be falling from the sky with a very steep angle of descent in a controlled manner. If you want to avoid this, just keep speed on the base leg ;)

PeterC 07-31-2005 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here re a couple of shots of my water birds. Peter

PeterC 07-31-2005 01:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the shot of the twin wasn't the one I had hoped for. Here the black stuff all over the wing is bugs glued to the finish by oil from the engines.
I'll try for a better picture.
Peter

Leo 07-31-2005 01:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1925 Curtiss Racer from Don Smith Plans. Sig floats

Strykaas 07-31-2005 02:20 PM

Leo,

where to get these Don Smith plans ? It looks very nice ! Was it participating at the Schneider trophy ?

Strykaas 07-31-2005 03:29 PM

OK found them http://www.donsmithplans.com/.

And yes this plane raced Schneider trophy.

Lazy me [sm=rolleyes.gif]

Bud Faulkner 08-10-2005 09:48 AM

Hey sky shark,
When can we see some pictures of those beautiful floats you did?

Bud

sky shark 08-17-2005 09:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bud,
I don't have them finished yet. It has been a busy summer! As soon as they are completed I will post pics. Here are a few pics of the progress on the second float.

Bud Faulkner 08-17-2005 10:06 AM

Thanks sky shark, I had the same problem with trying to find the time to work on mine. Looking good.

Neo02 08-19-2005 01:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok I've got a couple of pics, too. I mostly fly in seaplane pattern competitions, that's where the pics come from. First couple of pics show my friends Marco and Renato's models, the first one is an all-composite own design, the second one is a "High Society", derived from CPLRs Caprise. Then it's me at the European Cup 2004 in Chambéry, France, with my glow powered Topline. I switched this year to electric power and built an electric Eclipse (last 2 pics) - all I can say is what a blast! No motor shutoff because of water getting in the carburettor (although I'm unsure what it means if the ESC gets wet... ;) ), constant reliable power throughout the flight and -most important to me- very very quiet.

We are organizing an European Cup in seaplane pattern here in Lugano, Switzerland, on september 10 and 11. Lugano is only an hour drive from Milan, so if you're in northern Italy or Switzerland it will definitely be the event to see this year. Lots of scale models, too. Hope to see you soon!

Regards,
-Fabrizio

ryanpilot 08-20-2005 06:50 PM

Hey John. I think (if memory serves me) the Fantasy Island plane was eith a Grumman Widgon or a Goose. I really think it was a Goose. Anyway those are multi passanger planes albeit small inside.

Fly safe and keep the right side up when it counts. Dave

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

Very Nice Kevin

A true amphibian that with functional retracts that could be launched off water and landed on hard ground all in one flight---Rare indeed, nice.

If you have ever caught the old long running American TV show, Fantasy Island you may find it interesting that the opening shots always included a amphibian landing and arrival at the docks as one of the characters yelled "Da Plane Boss, Da Plane". Numerous arriving characters would proceed to step onto the docks. Amazing all these people in that two place airplane. I beleve this airplane was a Kingfisher with several rows of phoney small windows running aft behind the windshield.

John

PeterC 08-20-2005 07:43 PM

I too am sure it was a Grumman Goose. Probably a 6 place aircraft and in my opinion, the ugly sister of the group; Widgeon, Goose, Mallard and Albatross.
Peter

I_Fly_Coolers 08-21-2005 07:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my new Modelfly / Falcon Trading Cessna detailed like a USCG search plane. Powered by a Supertigre .75 Maiden flight scheduled for next saturday.

hILLVILLE 08-22-2005 08:24 AM

Love the Modelfly. Did you test fly it yet?

WA Flyer 08-23-2005 11:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics of the 99" Twin Otter (Sorta) that I flew off water for the first time last week. I was amazed that the two Magnum four stroke .61's could drag the 23 + pounds out of the water. Turned out to be not too bad. Kind of like I would imagine a Series 100 DHC-6 at Max Gross Takeoff Weight. Certainly no hot rod but kind of scale like. Next flight will be at Sushwap in a couple of weeks. Will try to get some windshields, windows, and numbers on it by then. This water flying sure is fun.

Paul

PeterC 08-23-2005 03:14 PM

Hey Paul, that's a great looking bird. I hope to see you and lots of other guys at the Sushwap this sept.
Cheers, Peter

admw12 08-25-2005 09:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the twin I made from a S.A. Sea Monster. I haven't flown it yet, but I have flown a p38 before so I am not new to twins.