RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Seaplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/seaplanes-176/)
-   -   Seamaster Water Bomber (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/seaplanes-176/428010-seamaster-water-bomber.html)

patternjockey 12-19-2002 06:40 AM

Seamaster Water Bomber

1 Attachment(s)
Hi folks

Here is a picture of my Seamaster 40 that I modified for water bombing. I have a bay door & pickup tubes that allow for pickup while on the step.

The engine is a YS 91 4 stroke... complete overkill but I wanted to make sure there were no "power issues". There were none!
I changed the engine out to a more reasonable OS 61 2 cycle later on.

The colors are fashioned after a Canadair CL-215... I guess I'll call this the CL-115 version :-)

patternjockey 12-19-2002 06:46 AM

Seamaster Water Bomber

1 Attachment(s)
Here is another one I took during float testing (prior to it's first flight.)

My wife thought I bought the hot tub for her..... little does she know :D

Sawyer692-RCU 12-19-2002 05:19 PM

Seamaster Water Bomber

How bout some close ups of the drop system??

patternjockey 12-19-2002 06:49 PM

Seamaster Water Bomber

1 Attachment(s)
OK here are a few for you.

This is a shot of the servo setup & tank loaction. I'll try and add a bitmap drawing at the end for those interested in this setup.

patternjockey 12-19-2002 06:54 PM

Seamaster Water Bomber

1 Attachment(s)
Heres one of the drop door & tube setup in the open position.

patternjockey 12-19-2002 07:02 PM

Seamaster Water Bomber

1 Attachment(s)
This is the door in the closed position. As you can see the pickup tubes are now below the step so water can be picked up as you skim the surface. It is amazing how fast the tank starts to overflow out the vent holes (in the side of the fuse.) Alternately you can also come off the step and just open the door for a second or two and close it. Your tank will now be 2/3rds full and will fill up as you accelerate for takeoff. (This was the reason for the YS-91 :D ) It comes out with a 60 sized 2 stroke with little trouble.

This is a lot of fun and adds another demension to float flying. Couple that with the Seamasters very forgiving attributes and you have a great platform to enjoy the water.

Sawyer692-RCU 12-19-2002 07:25 PM

Seamaster Water Bomber

wow, that is really neat!!

patternjockey 12-19-2002 07:39 PM

Seamaster Water Bomber

1 Attachment(s)
I tried to post the drawing but the quality is terrible at 80,000 bytes.

The .bmp drawing is just under 740,000 bytes so if you want it just e-mail me and I'll send a .bmp drawing directly to you.

Here is a shot of us getting it ready for it's first flight.

Sawyer692-RCU 12-19-2002 08:58 PM

Seamaster Water Bomber

I would really like a drawing. You are obviously more innovative than I.

patternjockey 12-20-2002 03:07 AM

Seamaster Water Bomber

Mike

Check your website mailbox. :)

scale only 4 me 12-21-2002 02:25 PM

nice toy!!

Can you tell us how much water does it holds/drops?

I have a 415 under construction (check gallery)and am still not sure how much water I should let it pick up

Yours looks like alot of fun
Great job :D

patternjockey 12-21-2002 05:37 PM

Seamaster Water Bomber

scale_4_me_only

It holds approx. 16 ozs of water when full.

When flying I can tell that the tank is full but I am not doing any high G manoeuvers during this period. The "drop" is viewable but you do not get the huge water ball that you see from the real thing. On a calm day with glassy water you leave a very visible trail and I have tried to "hit" certain spots (floating logs etc) with great success.

It is a lot of fun and you will enjoy yours for sure! It is well worth the effort of the install & setup.

Do you have any pics of the 415?

cf-drg 12-21-2002 09:40 PM

The Dark Side

OOOoo my... I see you have come to Dark Side of RCUniverses Forums Dave. The seaplane forum. :) There's no hope for me..but save your self and get out while you can.... ;)

patternjockey 12-22-2002 01:01 AM

Seamaster Water Bomber

Dark side! You must mean the wet side!

Always interesting to pass on tricks with the Seamaster airframe but credit for this mod goes to a fellow I met on the RC newsgroup a few years ago. I asked a simple question on mods to the kit and he suggested this mod. I was hooked on the idea so after inquiring, he sent me the drawing & instructions.

It's a must have for any boat hull 40 size or greater!

Have a great Christmas & lets hope a new field happens soon!

Maybe a spring float fly... whayda think? :D

cf-drg 12-22-2002 03:55 AM

Float fly

A spring float fly would by a great idea..Just a ? .. That 1st photo, is that one I took at the float fly?

Merry Christmas and see you at the Jan meeting...
I'll be bringing a set of Twin Otter plans I blew up to 1/8 scale. Did it to 1/6 to, but just a bit to big( pretty funny )..

scale only 4 me 12-22-2002 04:25 PM

yes I have 1 picture in my gallery

Originally posted by patternjockey
scale_4_me_only

It holds approx. 16 ozs of water when full.

Do you have any pics of the 415?

If you look closely at the picture in my gallery, you'll see one of the scale size and location Dump door hanging down, they're very large and I think the Water ball will be really cool to see

16 oz's/1lb. is a lot for your size plane I'd think instantly heavier. Mine is much larger I was hoping to be able to hold 1/2 gallon/4lbs. :eek:
But will start with less by adjusting the depth of the vent/overflow tubes

I plan to get it down and start working on it again soon,, I'll post some more pics in my gallery

It's all about Fun

wishiwasflyin 12-23-2002 10:35 PM

water capacity

Hey guys I wanted to let you know I have an 84" scratch sorta CL-415 that is powered by 2 .45's turning 11x5 props that will scoop up one gallon ! Yes you can tell when it is full but it climbs out as well as a full scale a/c could. The gallon has been measured very carefully, it really puts a nice wet area on the ground if it is low enough and slow enough. I even once put out a candle on the runway at our field. The tank can be filled up on dry land when the gear is bolted on.

bat_21 10-12-2005 05:38 PM

RE: water capacity

I have always wanted to drop water from a plane...tell me..is there a kit that you can by or did you fabricate the whole thing yourself. I have been working on a Hu-16 and thought about making it a water bomber wasn't sure about where to get the hardware. How do you keep the water from leaking out of the tank? You did a terrific job. It seems like an egineneering nightmare.

dicknadine 10-12-2005 09:51 PM

RE: water capacity

RCM put out a set of plans for a Candair look like a few years ago and and I had mine all fabbed close to covering when Hurricane Katrina changed our plans completely. NO more house, shops, models- all gone in a couple of hours or less. No harm to us physicaly, just shock of loosing 100% of your possesions and not your skin. the LORD had his hand on us. we are not brooding- but looking ahead and keeping going- at 81+ years young we are not giving up, theres always a tomorrow. dick stamm

Strykaas 10-23-2005 02:33 PM

RE: Seamaster Water Bomber

dick,

what a hell [X(] !! glad you're unhurt ... keep the faith

ThunderBirds 11-03-2005 03:49 AM

Dave, I have to say that is one of the most innovative mods I have ever seen that seems to work very well! Congrats on a job well done. I love it.

Does the tank have any leak problems? and do you think you could get more water in the fuse tank/s somehow ? and maybe get the plane to dump more H2o at one time for a more dramatic effect?

If you have any video, that would be just great to see! Again very well done!

patternjockey 11-05-2005 10:42 AM

Hi Thundirbirds,

You could increase the amount of water by moving the forward bulkhead forward during construction. The Seamaster kits have long since been out of production so getting an unbuilt kit may be difficult. As for "dropability", the door I made was as big as I could fit on the step. You could change the door location (perhaps to the bottom) but this would require a bit more engineering and enginuity.

I have had a lot of fun with mine but it has not flown in several years. Sits on my shelf in the work shop actually! I had hoped to get to more float fly's but it just hasn't worked out. [:o]

Dave