Community
Search
Notices
SimJet Turbine Direct Support Direct support for SimJet Turbines provided here.

2300 Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 05:02 PM
F4 d best

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2300 Starting Problem

Hello Kerry,

I went to start my 2300 after a long time of no use and turbine would not start, this is what's happening:

On switch on temperature reads between 98 and 100 degrees, ECU starts cooling sequence and this goes on forever, red and green lights are flashing simultaneously all the time. Ambient temp is about 22 degrees. I tested the temp probe by heating it up and temp rises but when I cooled it with a fan it would never go below 98. I was reading these temperatures from the Data Terminal.

What do you think is wrong?

Best regards

Mario
Old 10-26-2010, 08:16 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: 2300 Starting Problem

I will take a guess, temp probe?

You may need to re-calibrate it. Which ECU you have? Do a search, as I seem to recall there is was a procedure posted here.

good luck
Old 10-26-2010, 09:31 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Found it for you:
-
typically when the engine is COLD (has not been run) and it goes immediately into cool down, you need to check the following:

1. T/C out of calibration.

To check the T/C calibration, turn the system and the IRDT on. Check the TEMPERATURE reading, it should be with-in 2 Degrees of actual ambient room or outside temperature. If it is, place a heat source on the T/C (heat gun or match) and check to see that the Temperature rises. If it does not, bad T/C.

To calibrate the T/C, remove the front cover from the turbine. Note the terminal Block on the RPM board in which the T/C wires terminate. With the system turned on, using a VERY SMALL jewelers screw driver, rotate the very small screw on the SIDE of this terminal block and adjust your Temperature reading to be 2 degrees BELOW the ambient outside or room temp. Your Done. Now things should read work correctly. If they do not go to step-2.

2. Defective T/C

If things are not now working correctly, replace the thermocouple and don't forget to calibrate it when you install it as described in step 1.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:17 AM
F4 d best

Hi Edgar,

Thanks for th above information, I will try and post result here, sounds like calibration problem as when I applied heat temperature went up no problem, it just do not go down to ambient.

Regards
Mario
Old 10-27-2010, 08:57 AM
Vampire
My Feedback: (2)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

As Edgar pointed out, it is likely the T/C or calibration. However, it could also be the ECU program.

Start w/ the simple things first....check calibration.

I'm assuming that you do have a Data Terminal (IRDT) and that is how your able to read temps.

Looking forward to your findings.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:11 PM
F4 d best

Hi Guys,

I thank you for your support because as you indicated I had a calibration problem, once I re-calibrated temperature reading was OK and start up procedure went ok, BUT I still could not get turbine to start, gas is not igniting so ecu shuts down turbine. Glow plug is working ok as I checked it outside of the engine. What I noticed is that if I open the gas bottle before I initiate start up I could hear the gas coming out of the turbine, looks as if gas valve is not shutting and is letting gas pass through it even when engine is not running. Any suggestions please.

regards
Mario
Old 11-09-2010, 08:17 AM
Uefly

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi!

Change the glowplug. I had the same problem, changed my glowplug and it came to action at once. I bought a OS fourstroke glowplug due to its length, pulled out two coils from the plug and the turbine havent made me any problem since. If you cant adjust the glowpower on your ecu, this is the best way to solve your problem. I had the SimJet 2002 Fadec with a main switch and 3 diodes, green, yellow and red on its tray.