Community
Search
Notices
SimJet Turbine Direct Support Direct support for SimJet Turbines provided here.

Bad ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 06:02 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Bad ECU?

Hi Kerry,

I have a Simjet 2300, with the Simjet FADEC (not the gaspar one). The turbine was sent to you for checking last August. I finally mounted it in a new airframe. After 2-3 successful start ups, now I have problems:
1- Turbine starts OK. However when slowly raising the throttle, the IRDT 'loses' the connection (screen goes to default startup, same as it turned on without connecting the turbine).
2- At that point, either the turbine fails to reach full power, or once it reaches it, it fails to respond to the radio (it remains at full power even if the radio stick goes to low)
Most of the time, it fails to reach full power and stop responding to the radio stick.

The IRDT 'regains' the connection if I cycle the main switch. In other words, it shows data only when the stick is at idle.

The lights in the switch seems ok (they complete the startup sequence)

I believe in one of my tires, the starter remained 'on' for too long, but can't confirm.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Edgar

Old 07-09-2008, 08:26 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Bad ECU?

Hi Edgar,

Becasue it is not doing this on all occasions, this apperas to be a bad cable. Either the cable from the turbine to the ECU or the 20 pin cable to which you connect the IRDT. Could be a malfunctioning RPM board as well.

I'm concerned that the ECU may have been damaged due to a hung starter you have mentioned as the motor will then provide an electrical feedback to the ECU and can damage it. Most of the time when this type of event happens the ECU just fails to work at all.

I suggest you sent me the ECU and I can check it out and if it is Ok, I will return it with the 2 new cables mentioned above.

Let me know.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:43 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Bad ECU?

Thanks Kerry

Will send the ECU to you...