Community
Search
Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

Turbo Reg and edr 111 setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 09:55 PM
brentp76
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Reg and edr 111 setup

I recently had a problem with a 2.4 ghz system and the reason seems to point to a voltage drop. (smart fly products were not involved). I have a 100cc plane that I would also like to protect from an issue such as this. I have a EDR-111 that I would like to run on one of the 2 planes I have 2.4 on. My question is, can I use the second output from the turbo reg to go to the reciever, and the first to the servos? Or, if for some reason I had a voltage drop due to servo draw with the first channel on the TR, would the voltage drop also be seen on the second output. Or are these two independent systems.

OR

If I use a power system sport plus on my 50cc bird, will I be safe from the reciever ever experiencing a voltage drop..

Do the power expanders do the same thing that the EDR 111 does

Basically I need to ensure I don't have the same problem again.

I apologize for my schzitzophrenic rambling.. I hope you follow
Old 08-16-2007, 09:03 AM
rrritchey

Default RE: Turbo Reg and edr 111 setup

Hi,
The PowerExpanders and the EDR 111 are different. The PowerExpanders take two power sources in and send them to the servos. It then takes those same two inputs and filters it, regulates it down to 5.0V and sends it to the receiver. The receiver regulator has an extra capacitor on it to insure that glitches from the servos do not get through to the receiver. The EDR 111 actually separates the receiver power from the servo power. You are "suppose" to supply independent power to the receiver and servo inputs. What I don't like about the EDR 111 type units is that if you loose either power source, receiver or servos, you loose the plane. With the PowerExpander, if you loose one power source the other will take over. The TurboReg's two outputs are just tied together, what happens to one output will happen to the other output. That said, the TurboReg can source a huge amount of current so that voltage drops are practically non-existent.

We tested the PowerSystem Sport Plus in a 100cc Aeroworks 260 Quickbuild with eight JR 8711s. It performed flawlessly. We still are recommending that it only be used up to 85cc planes because the battery connectors are standard R/C plugs that can handle 3 amps each and we fell a 100cc plane with 8711s pushes that.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:27 PM
sax2ter

Default RE: Turbo Reg and edr 111 setup

In all my years of R/C flying, I have never lost a plane due to a sudden catastrophic battery failure, nor have I ever heard of one. (This is not to say that it has never happened; I just think it is probably very rare.)

A far more common cause for flight failures, (I suspect), is the improper calculation of voltage draw/need; (that, and pilots not checking, or topping off battery levels, after each flight.

I realize that if you are using a123 6.6v (or similar Lithium Ion type batteries), they won’t register any noticeable drop voltage until they are pretty much completely spent. But the problem of not being able to monitor voltage on this type of battery pack can be remedied by simply topping off Lithium Ion batteries between flights. Taking note of the mAh needed to “top off” this type of battery will give insight as to how long the batteries can ultimately run an onboard radio system, safely, between charge cycles.

From my own experience, (and those of others I have spoken with who have had similar 2.4gHz incidents); I am of the opinion that nearly all 2.4gHz radio failures were caused by Rx “reboots” due to low voltage dropping down to, (or just below), the 4v range. This of course most readily occurs because a single Rx pack is used to power the servos through the Rx; (and the battery pack employed is of insufficient voltage and capacity to maintain adequate voltage to both the Rx and servos).

The 2.gHz low voltage reboot problem can easily be avoided by employing one battery source for the Rx, and a separate, (second), battery source to power the servos. The EDR 111 does a great job of facilitating this kind of setup, (for a very reasonable price). But if you are still concerned that one of the two independent battery packs will still somehow suddenly fail, mid flight; a redundant battery setup can easily be made. You simply run twp separate dual battery packs, (one dual pack wired in parallel to the Rx, and the second dual pack setup wired in parallel goes to the servo power input).