Community
Search
Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

Adjustable regulator question

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:51 AM
juanes1969

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustable regulator question

Robert:
I`m finishing the build of an AeroWorks 75 cc Extra. I have installed two HiTec 5955TG on ailerons, two 5985MG on elevators and a futaba 9156 on the rudder. ZDZ 80Rv, two metal geared servos (100oz torque/analog) on the engine controls.
The battery is a 5200mAh OR 2600mAh from Fromeco connected to a Smart-Fly adjustable regulator (the small yellow one that was discontinued in some stores)
I am just a little worried about the current draw of the two hitec 5955s and the futaba 9156, and just wanted to make sure that this regulator will be capable of handling the load. The regulator in question has one DEANS input and two JR connectors on output and will be using the pin and flag switch I ordered with it.
Thanks in advance,
John.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:31 PM
rrritchey

Default RE: Adjustable regulator question

Hi John,
You should be OK. If someone asked me about this I might recommend the SuperReg instead because it has more peak current. The one you have will current limit at about 7.5 amps. The SuperReg can go to 15 amps.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:29 AM
juanes1969

Robert, thanks for the reply.
I have a super regulator that I use on a 35% YAK. If I wanted to use the super without the power expander, how would I go about? just make a set of extensions?(deans to futaba) or is that 15 Amps only when connected to the power expander?

John
Old 03-27-2008, 09:43 AM
rrritchey

Hi John,
You are correct, make some extensions that go from Deans male to Futaba male. You can still get the 15 amps, you will just have more voltage drop through the connectors. Each connector would carry 7.5 amps at maximum load. You might see about a 1 volt drop across the Futaba connector but this is OK for short bursts. You can get 6 amps continuous to your receive with this setup (2 plugs into the receiver).