Community
Search
Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

Super Reg & HD Switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 08:49 PM
mando
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Reg & HD Switch

New guy to gasser here........
Tell me if I got the wiring config correct, or not.
* 2 cell lion to the super switch ( clip jr plug on bat and solder onto Deans lead)
* jr lead from the super switch to the Super Reg bat input. ( clip jr plug and solder on a deans plug?) if so, should I solder both leads onto the Deans?
* Super Reg bat output to the receiver.( If so, are there ready available leads to do so?)

I'm doing a two battery redunant setup to the Super Reg, so I need to use one switch for each battery ?

Steve........
Old 10-30-2008, 06:20 AM
mando

Default RE: Super Reg & HD Switch

Hey Robert,
After studying up a little here, I've come to the conclusion that I should omit the HD switches and just use the fail safe switch to control on-off power to the reg/plane. This would allow me to connect the bats directly to the Super Reg and lighten the load of two unneeded switches? My receiver and Reg are installed aft of CG and I need to install bats Foward, so ...how long of a bat to Reg extention jumper am I allowed?

Steve......
Old 10-30-2008, 09:09 AM
rrritchey

Hi Steve,
What size plane is this. If its a 50cc plane you can consider the SportReg which will make it easier to connect to your receiver. If not, then using the SuperReg with the failsafe switch is a good idea. If you use the SuperReg and have Deans plugs on your batteries then you can run the battery to regulator extension as long as you want if you use 18ga wire or heavier. We do not have any Deans to R/C plug adapters made up but we can special make you a pair for $15.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:00 PM
mando

Hey, I should have mentioned the plane size.
The Plane is the H9/Carden Yak, so, 27%-30%.
Duralite Plus 2150 bats W jr plug.
Bat extention needed looks to be maybe 18-24"
Also I"ll need reg to rx jumper, 6-8"
I like the idea of the flag & pin switch though.
Thanks, Steve........
Old 10-30-2008, 01:26 PM
rrritchey

Hi Steve,
So, I think you can go with either the SportReg or SuperReg but you might be better off with the SportReg as it has standard connectors in and out and you can use a failsafe switch with it. You will still end up with a fairly large voltage drop between the regulator and the receiver bus at high currents because of the standard connector used to connect to the receiver. I know this may be more than you want to spend but putting in a PowerSystem Sport Plus is an advantage here because the regulator is tied directly to the servo plugs and each and every servo connected to the PowerSystem Sport Plus will see 6.0V at the connector. On your receiver they may only see 4.5V-5.0V when you do snaps and such maneuvers that require high current for the servos. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:58 PM
mando

Hey,
So, Chief Aircraft is very helpful with returns.... I'm gonna go with the Power system Sport Plus and the Pin and Flag failsafe switch.
So I guess I need a couple 18ga. extentions. I guess maybe you could make 'em up?

Steve...................
Old 10-30-2008, 06:17 PM
rrritchey

Hi Steve,
Actually since you have standard R/C plugs into the PowerSystem Sport Plus you can just use good 22ga extensions on your batteries. The thing is, you now have more headroom in your wiring from the battery to the PowerSystem. You never fly your Li-ions under 7.0V so you have a 1 volt differential and you can drop over 0.5V on your leads before the regulator will droop. Just get good 22/20ga extensions with gold plated connectors if you can find them.