RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/smart-fly-quest-engineering-support-forum-328/)
-   -   Problem with a pin switch?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/smart-fly-quest-engineering-support-forum-328/5754917-problem-pin-switch.html)

3Dreaming 04-22-2007 08:36 PM

Problem with a pin switch??

I'm having problems with my pin switch. I am using a Super Regulator with a pin switch. There have been some times when I turn my transmitter on I find the receiver already has power with the pin in the switch. Normally I don't hear any noise coming from the airplane, but today several time I would hear the servos buzzing from the wind pushing on the control surfaces. I would go to check the switch, and the pin seems to be in place. I'm I doing something wrong, or do I have a bad switch? Thanks, Tom

MustangAce 04-22-2007 09:56 PM

RE: Problem with a pin switch??

I am having the same problem??

PropStriker 04-22-2007 10:17 PM

I use the same switch, When it was new, it was a little tough pushing the pin past the activation point.....it got easier after more usage. Make sure the pin goes into the switch 5/8"

Along these same lines, I am just a bit curious about MTBF (life expectancy) for this switch....One plane has over 400 flights on it!

rmflyfish 04-22-2007 11:05 PM

I agree with PropStricker, I've found mine activates in the last 1/16 to 1/8 inch, and as it's still new, it's kinda hard to push in the last little bit.

Be carefull and try pushing it in a little further.

BP

rrritchey 04-23-2007 09:15 AM

Hi,
The common problem is not pushing the pin in far enough. There is a slight detent early but you have to push past that. Let me know if you are still having problems.

3Dreaming 04-23-2007 11:38 AM

OK I checked and I was not getting the pin in all the way. By supporting the rear of the switch I was able to push it in all the way. Besides polishing the end of the pin to make it more rounded, (which I already did) is there anything else that can be done to help? I have some Dow Corning DC4 electrical silicone compound, would it be OK to lubricate it with that? My switch is mounted in balsa sheeted foam, and does not have a lot of extra support. Tom

rrritchey 04-23-2007 11:45 AM

Hi,
You might try grinding the end of the pin so there is more of a bevel all the way around. Pointier would be better than rounded. I don't think the silicon compound will do anything, in fact, it might make it less electrically conductive in the off position which would not be good.

MustangAce 04-23-2007 12:15 PM

Thanks guys, that helps.

MustangAce 04-28-2007 08:41 PM

Oops, it failed today. It won't turn the plane off at all now. Can I still fly it like this???????????????????????????

rrritchey 04-29-2007 12:44 PM

I will get you a replacement out Monday. Send me your address and phone number at [email protected].