Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

New build-Aerof1orce tunnel

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

New build-Aerof1orce tunnel

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 12:13 PM
F1madness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New build-Aerof1orce tunnel

Hi to all,thought id share 1 of my builds im working on,this is the first thread iv started on here thought you may like.
Well here it is not finished but defo my best build so far i reckon
The hull is 32"L x 12-3/4"W.
This hull has been designed to run the REK leg and leopard 4074,2000kv,on 4s/5s, with a 42mm,1.7mmp,3 blade stainless steel prop.
what iv tried to do with the build is to make it so cornering can be achieved without backing so much but will see when it gets wet also iv reduce the the entrapment height at the rear of the tunnel/sponsons this will mean using a higher lift prop to get it on plane but should decrease the risk of a blow over by allowing the air to pass through more efficiently,but also designed the centre wing for more aero lift at the front of the hull rather than relying on the angle of the outboard/prop to lift the nose reducing the the load/draw on the motor and electronics again should be more efficient running.
But all will be revealed in good time and hopefully the results can be seen once it hits the wet stuff.
PICS:

Canopy
Old 11-24-2010, 12:16 PM
F1madness

Default RE: New build-Aerof1orce tunnel

Canopy starting to take shape:

Test fitting:
Old 11-24-2010, 12:18 PM
F1madness

Canopy sanded to required shape and cut the rear out for looks and clearance,also glass clothed for a dinkproof finish hopefully LOL.
more pics soon
Old 11-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Von Ohain

I see you also got a Leopard.
What do you think of them? I only heard about them quite rescently, and Im curious about them.
Supposedly, they are quite good. Is that your experience aswell?
Nice boat build you got going I wish I had the time to do something like that.
I used to build my own planes back in the day, but lately I must confess to have bought a lot of ARF.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:43 PM
F1madness

hey Von,this will be the first leopard iv run once build is complete,iv heard nothing but good reports so thought id build a hull to suit,so as soon as i get it wet i'll let you know.
My missus brought my first ARTR boat a couple of weeks ago other than that i build all my own hulls LOL
ORIGINAL: Von Ohain

I see you also got a Leopard.
What do you think of them? I only heard about them quite rescently, and Im curious about them.
Supposedly, they are quite good. Is that your experience aswell?
Nice boat build you got going I wish I had the time to do something like that.
I used to build my own planes back in the day, but lately I must confess to have bought a lot of ARF.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:44 PM
F1madness

Old 11-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Von Ohain

Likewise. I ordered a 3674 2200KV for my Surge Crusher. Was shipped yesterday. I cant wait for it, It will be the first proper motor I ever put into a boat (if the Leopard is as proper as they say). The Crusher was plentyful fast for a beginner like me with the stock 2000Kv motor beefed up to 6 cells. I got high expectations for this Leopard
Old 11-24-2010, 12:51 PM
F1madness

Cool same here,keep me posted on how you get on will be good to get some more feedback on these leopards
Old 11-24-2010, 07:27 PM
wave waker

very nice build F1madness[sm=thumbup.gif],,how much the hull weigh? looks like it so easy for u to build tunnel...

ww
Old 11-25-2010, 10:54 AM
F1madness

Thanks WW,not easy to design and build from scratch takes time along with trial and error but enjoy building them.
The bare hull is 3lbs as it is will weight it again once painted and again once fully built up
F1
Old 11-25-2010, 11:18 AM
Hesco Racing

Great looking build. Like the high tunnel should handle some rough stuff when needed. Is it you own design F1Madness?

Cobus
Old 11-25-2010, 12:43 PM
F1madness

Thanks Cobus
Yeah my own design,1 of many LOL but ill keep trying till i build the ultimate F1 tunnel,which im hoping this will either be it or not far off.
Rgds F1

ORIGINAL: Hesco Racing

Great looking build. Like the high tunnel should handle some rough stuff when needed. Is it you own design F1Madness?

Cobus
Old 11-25-2010, 05:04 PM
wave waker

ORIGINAL: F1madness

Thanks WW,not easy to design and build from scratch takes time along with trial and error but enjoy building them.
The bare hull is 3lbs as it is will weight it again once painted and again once fully built up
F1

thanks,, that's a good hull weight..

btw, if you don't mind asking, what's the edge of your design over to the other existing tunnels,,, i really love tunnel boat and like to talk/ discuss the technical side of it,,,i have around 12 tunnels hulls from 24 inches to 48 inches and more to come,,hope u keep posting the progress...

thanks

ww
Old 11-26-2010, 06:54 AM
F1madness

Im not saying that my builds are better than the others that are out there,but what im trying to do is design a hull you can really drive to its limits and literally on the egde with near full throttle or even full throttle turns,high speed capable and handle the rougher water when needed as said by cobus,and the way im trying to achieve this is with the aero and hydro dynamics of the hull.
While still achieving a great looking,strong hull that is efficient on the drive sytems by doing this a higher performing and more reliable setup can be used by reducing the loads on them.
But as stated all will be revealed once it hits the water,and if not what im trying/hoping to achieve back to the drawing board and another build to start,its all trial and error but am confident i will get there in the end
Rgds F1
Old 11-26-2010, 01:13 PM
F1madness

Had a good day on it today,managed to get the sides of the sponsons/hull sanded and shaped,put some braces across the centre pod for suport and to latch the lids under to seal it,also got all the brass tubes epoxied in for the steering cables,motor wires and cooling for the esc.
And finished the rear of the hull aswell.
Just gotta cut the lids,and get her sanded down and abit of filling ready for sealing,may even glasscloth the whole hull,or just the sponsons.
Will keep you posted.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:42 PM
F1madness

Well got the lids done for the centre pod,put a lip on the 1 end of each to hook under the supports iv put in but will be hatched taped to hold them once shes up and running.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:44 PM
wave waker

F1m,you're getting closer to test drive,,what's your paint scheme?

ww
Old 11-27-2010, 05:32 AM
F1madness

Got a couple of ideas,but not made my mind yet.
Test drive might be awhile even once finished woke up this morning to freezing cold weather and snow,so might put me hold for paint aswell
Will see what i can do.
Iv got another 3 builds to start now aswell so gotta crack on with them aswell,back to the drawing board LOL
Old 12-02-2010, 11:04 AM
F1madness

Thanks to a friend of mine in the states who very kindly gave this to me free of charge,i tried to offer but he wouldnt except.
It a dubro motor mount allowing easier adjustment of the trim and height of the outboard.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:00 PM
wave waker

f1 Madness, since he didn't accept for anything in return for the dubro mount maybe you can put his name in your boat as sponsor.

btw, just be careful using the center piece of that mount because it snap pretty easy if the lower unit hit something, i heard stories losing the engine/motor because of that, and hate to hear it again..for remedy either look for the aluminum center piece or safety cable attached to the lower unit to the hull...just my 2cents...

hope more progress of this boat.

ww
Old 12-03-2010, 03:00 AM
F1madness

Hey bud,cheers for the heads ,some1 else on another forum mentioned it,gonna see if i can get 1 machined from alloy but for now it will have to do till i can sort somthing,the steering cables should hold it should (hope not) anything happen.
As soon as i can move forward on it ill keep posting,but the weather here is cold and snowy
Old 12-15-2010, 04:13 PM
F1madness

Here we go guys done the small amount of filling that needing doing and just finished the 1st coat of sealer.After seeing how these leopards perform im real excited about getting this 1 on the water
Old 12-19-2010, 09:27 AM
F1madness

here we folks,took me longer than anticipated,fully glass clothed the hull and got it rubbed down then a final coat of sealer,but got a bit further on the cowl,its now in primer awaiting marker coat.all i gotta do now is final smoothing off the sealer and she ready for primer
Old 12-20-2010, 11:04 AM
F1madness

thought id put it all together and weigh it.
With the motor and leg on,4s 1p 5000 mah lipo,200 amp esc,and heavy duty brass geared 15kg servo all in,the weight is 6lb,7oz
Old 12-21-2010, 12:03 PM
F1madness

,managed to get it in primer and marker coat today.Just gotta wetsand now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.