Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

quick newb question

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

quick newb question

Old 01-22-2011, 01:39 PM
andybenton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick newb question

hey all, this sounds incredibly silly, and im probably over analyzing things,

but, should my rudder blade be positioned aft of my prop? or would it work correctly positioned infront of the prop?

im not talking inline, like a catamaran set up, basicly, i just want to know if i need to make a standoff for my rudder, or if it would be ok to just mount it provided all clearances check out.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:11 PM
BACKEMF

Default RE: quick newb question

It is good to have the front or "leading edge" of you rudder no more forward than the front of the drive dog.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:41 PM
andybenton

thanks for the advice, this is my first boat that im actually building, when my stuff gets in ill try to take some pictures.

thanks again, any other advice on set up?

im running a fiegao 2155 kv Long can
aquacraft 60 amp esc,
2 2cell 4000 mah 30c lipos in series,

im thinking i need to start with a prather 215, or octura 440 for the prop
Old 01-22-2011, 02:52 PM
andybenton

i guess i should add that its a 25'' fiberglass mono hull,
Old 01-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Diesel6401
My Feedback: (1)

Should be a good, 60amp is cutting it close but as long as you don't over prop you should be fine. A x440 would be a nice prop on that hull.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:48 PM
andybenton

i was wondering about the esc, but its the closest thing i can afford in my budget, im not trying to make a screamer, just doing this build to get the experiance.

if im not mistaken, a prather 215 is practicly the same as the x440,  im going to stick to two bladed props, and if need be, i can drop back to an x436 or x437, i cant remember exactly which one it is....

im hoping the 215 will be ok, because i allready have one, and its SPB'ed allready,

thanks again for the advice, i should have pictures within the next week. just waiting on my order from ose XD
Old 01-22-2011, 06:54 PM
Diesel6401
My Feedback: (1)

Yea the prather are really nice. It should work really good for you. Just a heads up for future reference the seaking esc's are the best bang for the buck. I budget build as well and those are the great! Swordfish esc's are also really nice and affordable.

http://kintecracing.com/SeaKing.html
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...Speed+Controls

ORIGINAL: andybenton

i was wondering about the esc, but its the closest thing i can afford in my budget, im not trying to make a screamer, just doing this build to get the experiance.

if im not mistaken, a prather 215 is practicly the same as the x440, im going to stick to two bladed props, and if need be, i can drop back to an x436 or x437, i cant remember exactly which one it is....

im hoping the 215 will be ok, because i allready have one, and its SPB'ed allready,

thanks again for the advice, i should have pictures within the next week. just waiting on my order from ose XD