Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

1/8 scale miller american

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

1/8 scale miller american

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 09:05 AM
Strecker25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/8 scale miller american

Hey guys, forgive me for not knowing a ton about electrics. I read through the sticky and got some of the basics, but like anything knew its a little overwhelming to sift through the internet to choose my correct electronics.

I have a wood Dumas miller American that I am tossing back and forth between .67 nitro (hard to find a used engine nowadays) and a brushless set up. What I'm not sure of is where to start if I want to price out the brushless gear. If someone could make a suggestion, so I can get an idea of the specs I need for this boat I'd really appreciate it. The hardware hasnt been purchased yet, but from what I can tell the standard 1/4 flex with 3/16 step down that I would use in a nitro should be OK in the comparable electric given I can mate it to the motor shaft. My goals are really just to get it running at a reasonable cost, if it only does 35-40 mph or so to start, then so be it. If current boat weight or anything else would help please let me know, its currently in primer state getting ready for paint.

Thanks in advance
Ryan
Old 08-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Sport40II

Default RE: 1/8 scale miller american

Ryan,

Just a heads up though.  Electrics can be very costly since it sounds like you will need engine, esc, batteries and charger.  Plus what ever else I forgot.  Just take your time a little and price it out.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:30 AM
Strecker25

ive started to notice that! Just bouncing ideas around to see how I can get this boat in the water, ive been away from the hobby for some time and it seems like a lot of the aftermarket support and vendors has really fallen off, especially in the nitro world. Its a shame.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:57 PM
Sport40II

The only major dealer for nitro in North America is Hallam Marine.  He carries a Picco .45R and the .67 CMB engine.  He also carries the tuned racing pipes.  But prepared to spend about $500.  From what I have seen, it is right around the same price for an awesome brushless motor.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:22 PM
hendocap

Pm me , I Have Both of what your looking at, can point you in the right direction , stuff I don't need anymore.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:54 AM
boatfreak

I have the Dumas 1/8 Miller also, still finishing the details. Bought mine as a package deal off Ebay with the engine. It's an OPS .67, I thought I'd share the link as an option for you.

http://www.niagaramarinehobbies.com/OPS%20Engines_1.htm

I haven't seen a boat of that size with electric power that was made for speed, but I have to admit, I like the idea. It could open options on places to run.

Let us know what you go with, I'd like to hear how it works for you.

Happy boating-