Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Any one running a aquacraft minimono yet?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Any one running a aquacraft minimono yet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 12:00 PM
scuba6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any one running a aquacraft minimono yet?

Just picked one up. these things are quick for money invested. Didn't see a thread on them and was woundering if anyone was tinkering with yet? Alot less time consuming as the nitro I currently been running!
Old 10-19-2011, 08:05 AM
kshoopman

Default RE: Any one running a aquacraft minimono yet?

I received mine last week but have not run it yet. Have you run yours yet, and if so how did it run and what battery have you used?
I just got the 11.1 3S 1000 25C.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:31 PM
scuba6

Runs good have to go look to see which bat I have. Only bad thing is we have already broke two prop shafts. They seem to be real weak! Boat does not like leaves at all. But are fun.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:41 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

wish you could get a 2200mah pack in these....
Old 10-24-2011, 04:39 AM
kshoopman

Took mine out for it's maiden voyage Saturday. Had a six minute run time on my 1000mah battery. Boat had a lot of water in it at the end of the run.
Battery,esc, and the motor were all sitting in water. I did have the hatch sealed with tape. I wonder if the drive cable was not lubed properly at the factory.
When I did go to pull the cable to lube I found both set screws were already rounded out. Finally able to get the cable screw undone but theres no chance for the
motor coupler screw.
Anybody running a 1300 or 1600 battery? If so how does it fit.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:31 AM
FireSlash

Picked one up last week.

Running it with some Zippy 3S 1100mah batteries They barely fit. Gets decent run times (6-9 min depending on throttle abuse).

Initial impressions were amazing. I was expecting slow meandering turns but this thing handles like nothing I've ever seen on water. I had the steering turned way down at first, but it can do 90deg turns at WOT without issue, and fairly tight hairpins as well.

Initial adjustment seems OK. It takes a few seconds to get up on a plane so if you just jam the throttle down it takes around 3 seconds before the prop really starts to bite.

First few runs were good, but I had to drain it after every pack due to water getting in. I thought I might have failed to seal the hatch properly, but the second run showed the same issue with a more careful tape run. The hatch seems to seal against light spray fairly well on it's own, however if you have your steering set too hard it will submarine on a hard turn.

On pack three I ran into a problem with the motor not turning over. I fiddled with this on and off as it seemed to spring back to life now and then. Turns out the friction at the tail end was causing thermal expansion to do its thing and causing too much friction for the motor to start up properly most of the time.

Factory grease is nowhere near adequate. I'm glad they shipped a spare prop as four packs in this one is ruined from friction, and now rattles around causing the brushless motor to get increasingly hot with each pack. I find it odd they supplied tape, spare drive shafts, rudder savers, props, and a stand... but not even a tiny tube of grease. The manual even only lists it as "suggested" not required, as if the boat will somehow survive without it.

Going to pick up some later and see how that goes. I'm hoping a more liberal slathering of grease prevents the other from failing in the same way. Worst case I might just replace the whole drive system.

Beyond that issue the boat's been a blast. Leaves will ruin your day but on a boat this small, that's to be expected. The boat is very fast and handles amazingly, hard to beat for the price.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:37 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

If you read around on FE boats you will find out that the prop shaft need to be lubed every couple runs...
There suggestions was probably for the grease they sell...
I've yet to see a boat shipped with tons of grease on the shaft as that will spin away anyways...

Would love to know if 4s will work on the stock esc...
Old 11-10-2011, 04:14 PM
expresscraft

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what about a carbon fiber hull?we where just talking about making them, yes / no do you think it would be a easy transplant? and would you consider it?
Old 11-11-2011, 03:51 PM
bigalboats2010

Ihave been looking into these boats aswell they look likea hoot to run and simple... thought of doing a transplant into an aluminum hull. Ialready have somehull designs that would work justneed to scale them downto size. they would be very simple to build, just need to epoxy the joints of the flat pattern together then install the hardware .

www.bigalboats.com

ORIGINAL: expresscraft

what about a carbon fiber hull?we where just talking about making them, yes / no do you think it would be a easy transplant? and would you consider it?
Old 06-06-2013, 06:01 AM
Jeff Wohlt

I now have a better drive solution for these. New 062 wire drive, coupler and prop shaft. Bullet proof.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:35 AM
*delete M i k e u p delete*

I read in another forum where they got the wire drive and that is the bees knees. Also check the screws or better yet , take screws out and reseal . Do a bathtub test!
Old 06-06-2013, 10:56 AM
dangergus

Any close up pics? I'm looking to upgrade...

ORIGINAL: Jeff Wohlt

I now have a better drive solution for these. New 062 wire drive, coupler and prop shaft. Bullet proof.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:51 PM
Schwanke

Originally Posted by scuba6
Runs good have to go look to see which bat I have. Only bad thing is we have already broke two prop shafts. They seem to be real weak! Boat does not like leaves at all. But are fun.
There are fun I bought a cable drive upgrade kit and it was fast and easy and I haven't had a problem since